NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Aquisition

So my classic BMW had finally hit a point in it's restoration/modification where I wanted to keep the miles off of it and get a new daily driver to better put up with my commute. A professor friend had a 1999 VW Beetle 2.0 GLS that had been parked on campus for over a year without moving and he wanted nearly nothing for b/c the college was hassling him to get it moved. It was exactly as below although MUCH dirtier.

Untitled by systemdelete, on Flickr

One of the first weekends I had it the wife and I took it to the local drive-in.(it was in good company) It was there that I began to loathe the aftermarket stereo that had been installed at some point. It was like a laser light show was going on inside the car while I was trying to watch the movie.
photo.JPG by systemdelete, on Flickr

That flashy radio HAD to go so I sourced a 2005 OEM CD player to replace it and wired in a bluetooth module so I could run my phone's audio through the AUX input pins.
This-

Gave way to this-(updated to the later center dash at the same time)

The interior was disgusting and reeked of stale coffee and cigar smoke. The carpet had to go.

I found a much nicer carpet at the local yard and in it went after a thorough cleaning.

At this point it was live-able and I spent many hours catching up the maintenance, it was during that process that I realized the suspension was completely shot. I began collecting parts to refresh the suspension and make it my own. All my other cars fulfill my desire for low so I wanted one I could get a little more use out of off road.

News shocks, springs, airbags, spacers, wheels, and tires.

Here it is after install getting a fresh alignment.

The bumpers were all beat up and dinged from the previous owner so I enlisted the help of a friend to rhino line the beat up bumpers and rockers. The front bumper is the same from the earlier pics I just taped it together where broken and rhinoed over the broken sections. Better than new. :cool:

My toolbox had decimated the rear cargo mat since I didn't receive a spare with the car.I built a new cargo floor that would better hold my luggage and whatnot.

for added security and a cooler vehicle I installed a perforated white vinyl over the cargo windows. This keep prying eyes from seeing tools and the like I occasionally have back there.

lately most of the mods have been simple such as snow chains so I could make it to work in rough weather, and new badges to spruce up the exterior.

so far 178k miles and counting. . .

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
WOW, your beetle is mighty sweet. Big props on the reclamation. Hope you'll post a ton of pics.

BTW, the org has a ton of storage space for your pics. Wed love to have you store a copy of your files here. If you remove the pics from your Flickr files,.your pics will be lost here, which will make us sad.

Welcome to the org! !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts