NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First came my Father's 1985 911 Factory Turbo-Look (M491 option code). As you probably guessed, it came from the factory with Turbo bodywork and brakes. It also has uncommon options as a full leather interior. It is super-clean for an '85. It is modded, but not much. It has a Steve W. DME chip, Dansk euro pre-muffler (cat delete), and a Dansk sport muffler. It has also been lowered using the factory adjustments (bet some of you didn't know that torsion-bar 911's came with adjustable suspensions!). The only addition we made cosmetically were clear front markers (not pictured) and OEM leather sport seats. It is a comfortable and fast cruiser; a real GT car.

Of course, he doesn't want to take this car on the track, but still wants to race (and so do I). So, there was no other option but to go for another 911.

This time, it's a 1980 911SC. The P.O. already modded the 3.0L engine with 46mm PMO carburetors, SSI heat exchangers and a Monty muffler, and MSD ignition. Where the 3.2L of the black car has low-end grunt, the 3.0L revs without hesitation. Also, the SC is probably 150-200 pounds lighter than the TL, which makes for a VERY quick car. We are going to mod this car further with the track in mind. Toss out anything too heavy (audio equipment for starters), smooth the bumpers, lower the car (bilsteins already on it), ducktail rear spoiler, factory chin spoiler, and did I mention a diet plan for the car ;)

NOW you understand why it says "Porsche Support Vehicle" next to my avatar!

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Dang. Dream cars! :bowdown:

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Awesome cars - my dream car is an '84-'89 Porsche 911. Which makes your dad's car with the factory widebody my ultimate dream car... so if he ever sells, please let me know. :)

I graduate with my masters May 2008 and my graduation gift WILL be my dream car. Looks like a non-turbo version in mint condition goes for around $25K-$30K. Heck, people spend more than that on a boring old Toyota :)

You should keep us updated on these cars in this thread - it'll save me having to get my Porsche fix elsewhere.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
wow...too bad they dont make those cars big guy friendly or i would really want one

amazing machines..very nice

keep us posted on the details of the one you are going to modify..im curious as to how thats going to end up

·
Registered
316 Posts
Beautiful cars, including your Beetle for sale (pun intended I guess). I'd love to one day have an air-cooled 911, either a 993 Carrera 4 Cabriolet or a 930 Turbo Cabriolet. I've seen some 930 Turbo Cabriolets for sale, and they were about $50k, which was a LOT less than I thought they'd go for, given their rarity. BTW, where do you buy your wheels? I got mine at www.wheelenhancement.com. They only sell new and reconditioned Porsche wheels. They even refurbished a wheel I scuffed up in Boston to its true silver (which most places can't duplicate).

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Love the black car, but I would take any 911 in good condition! I'd prefer a 911 turbo carerra 4, if I had the money. Saw the tail lights of many Porsche's while in Germany. Man, there fast!

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a little update on the White Car.

She's at Rudtner's Racing getting a LOT of work done. This includes a new, fully adjustable suspension, new bodywork (IROC front bumper, smooth rear), new oil cooling system, new seats, etc etc. As mentioned before, this car will be a track car with occasional street use. It's going to be one hell of a ride when it's done:cool:

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, here is our SC is now:

Some of you may be looking at the pic and saying, "Ok, it's got some cool bumpers on it and a ducktail, and it's lowered, get to the good stuff!". I'm getting there...

Cobra seats and 6-point harnesses attached to an OG Racing cage. We scraped out about 30 pounds of sound insulation from this car, no joke. The P.O. really liked his sound, but who needs any other soundtrack than the Flat-6 pumping away, PMO's ingesting the atmosphere and a Monty Muffler spitting it all out?!

And what a Flat-6 it is!

46mm PMO's hint at what lies inside the engine ;) Here's the short list:

JE Pistons
10:1 compression ratio
Ported heads
Dougherty DC40 cams
SSI's
MSD ignition
Competition valve job
Racing valve springs
TI retainers
993 headstuds
...among other things (it's still a 3.0, BTW)

wanna see it on the dyno? OK!

right now she put down a little over 250hp to the wheels @ 6500rpm.

That's all well and good, but the car has to turn right? Sure it does. It's sitting on almost every part out of the Elephant Racing catalog. 29mm front and 32mm rear torsion bars, fully adjustable swaybars, poly-bronze bushings all around, Bilstein shocks and more.

What's that? Brakes? 930 Turbo brakes at all 4 corners haul the car down.

So, there you have it. We'll be bringing this car to Watkins Glenn for a Metro PCA DE weekend next week to see how she does. It's light, it makes good power, it turns well and it stops well. Pops should have some fun. Don't worry, I'm going to co-drive it starting next season. Can't let him have all the fun :D

Big, BIG thanks to Bill Rudtner and his crew at Rudtner's Racing for building this car, and for generally being a bunch of cool guys who love what they do, and it shows!

decent pics coming this weekend. all of these pictures were taken in haste.

oh, and the car is plenty quick =)

For next season we plan on painting the car Signal Orange, as well as a few other goodies here and there.

Enjoy...I know I will :D

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't updated this thread in a long while, so here's something new for you guys.

I have finally driven both cars. There truly is no substitute.

The Black car is still doing fine. Excellent cruiser, but terribly slow, fat and boring when compared to this thing:

It has change a bit from the last time it appeared in this thread. Obviously, the new wheels and tires. They are Kodiak RT 3-piece wheels with hidden fasteners. 17x8 and 17x9 front/rear. Tires are Yokohama Advan A038 in 225-45-17 and 255-40-17. This weekend will be their first time at the track, and we expect this setup to be light years ahead of the old setup of 16x7 16x8 Fuchs with Goodyear Eagle F1 tires (now they're the rain setup)

Also, we sold the ducktail and replaced it with a fiberglass replica of an early 930 tail. The car is much more stable under high-speed braking (100mph+) thanks to the increased downforce.

What you can's see are the brake cooling ducts and the Rennshift shifter. The brake cooling ducts will really help keep brake fade away and the Rennshift is simply amazing. Best shifter I've ever felt. Super-positive action and very strong billet aluminum construction with adjustable throws.

The engine got re-tuned, so it's feeling stronger than before. Over the winter we will be taking a lot more weight out of it, including cutting out the steel roof and putting in a fiberglass roof panel.

Also, we sold our old steel trailer and picked up a Trailex aluminum one

at 900 pounds, it is 1/2 the weight of the steel one. Much easier to tow. Well worth the money new, and even better when you get a bargain on the PCA classifieds.

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I should update this thread:

We ran the car at Lime Rock and Pocono this season

Lime Rock (pre R-compound):

Pocono:

and when you do this:

you get this:

So, we'll have to roll the fenders.

Unfortunately, at the end of our Pocono weekend, the car developed a problem which we traced to the carbs. They were just dumping fuel into the engine and causing the car to belch white/blue smoke, and raw fuel would come out of the exhaust. So...we will eliminate this problem forever with yet another engine build!

Stroke the crank to 72mm
102mm Nikasil pistons from LN Engineering
Individual Throttle Bodies
Dual plug heads
10.5:1 compression
Haltech ECU running fuel and crank-fire ignition

So, we're looking at a 3.5L engine that will make well over 300whp, and it will be reliable, responsive, and FAST.

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, plans have changed regarding the new engine.

It will be a little under 3.8 liters now. We're figuring on 400whp now :eek:

We sold the 3.0L to a gentleman in England. It will ship out in January. The 3.8 will be based on a 3.2L case with a stroked 3.2L crank and heavily worked 3.2 heads. The pistons will still be 102mm. ALso, the crank will be ground down for 2" rod journals so we can use Nascar bearings. This will enable us to spin it to 8600rpm if we like! Add in a few tricks here and there and this will be an engine that will really be worthy of a magazine feature. Trust me, no expense is being spared on this one. This engine will be one of the mist trick engines out there and the best part is that we'll never be looking for more power...

...We'll have to get more suspension and rubber now ;)

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Looking good, any lap times from these outings? At Pocono, which track layout did you run, North/East/South?

Curious minds want to know...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts