NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I'm posting here because The Pumpkin bit the dust Dec.20th 2013.

I had just received a green light and started to go. A car coming eastbound was speeding, trying to make the light on their side. I didn't have time to react. She was driving a van. She t-boned my driver's side and I spun around 4 times (But I don't remember it.) the back end hit a school bus with no kids on it. Leaving the Pumpkin totaled. I was kind of stuck in the driver's side. Of course, I was wearing a seat belt. I managed to walk away with scratches,bruises and muscle soreness.

I just wanted to say, thank you all for helping me whenever I was obsessing over things that I believed to be issues with the car that needed fixing and even when nothing was wrong with the Pumpkin.

It saddens me to see the Pumpkin die with not a lot of miles on it. I thought I'd have her for a long time.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Hopefully the insurance for the other lady that hit you has ensured all has been taken care of from a monetary point of view. Had almost the same accident happen where I live. Two lane going east, one lane road going west. So we have two stop lights on our side--one happened to have a blown red light (the one on my side was CLEARLY on and stale). So I stopped, damn near got rear ended by some idiot driving a pick up . She pulled into the left lane and barely missed me---and almost t-boned the driver making a left hand turn off the side street with the green light on his side.

Nice thing? A state trooper heard several of us blasting our horns at this walking stool sample. Should have made for a nice ticket..cause she got nailed 1/2 a block down the road.

Maybe the insurance money can be used to find another beetle? Never want to give up on your passions in life just cause someone screwed up your ride..

S-

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully the insurance for the other lady that hit you has ensured all has been taken care of from a monetary point of view. Had almost the same accident happen where I live. Two lane going east, one lane road going west. So we have two stop lights on our side--one happened to have a blown red light (the one on my side was CLEARLY on and stale). So I stopped, damn near got rear ended by some idiot driving a pick up . She pulled into the left lane and barely missed me---and almost t-boned the driver making a left hand turn off the side street with the green light on his side.

Nice thing? A state trooper heard several of us blasting our horns at this walking stool sample. Should have made for a nice ticket..cause she got nailed 1/2 a block down the road.

Maybe the insurance money can be used to find another beetle? Never want to give up on your passions in life just cause someone screwed up your ride..

S-
Yeah, luckily every car involved was ensured! It was a 4 car accident because of my back end hitting the front of the school bus and then another car got rear ended. Then there was my car and the lady who hit me.

I didn't have time to take photos. My dad did take this photo of the driver's side when I was trying to get some of the stuff out of the car before the car insurance took the car.

Yeah, at least she got nailed and got a ticket. Right? I'm glad your okay and your beetle didn't get totaled or anything. Geez. I really don't like idiot drivers.

I didn't end up getting another beetle.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
At the end of the day? You have to do what is right for you!

Did the one that started the chain reaction have to have their insurance cover ALL the damage? (hope it was a good ticket she got....I also detest moronic drivers)

S-

after seeing those photos? Very glad the beetles are pretty stout in the driver protection areas. Nice to escape with comparable minor injuries....(not saying any injuries are a good thing---but that damage looks pretty bad.

Very glad you're in good shape!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the end of the day? You have to do what is right for you!

Did the one that started the chain reaction have to have their insurance cover ALL the damage? (hope it was a good ticket she got....I also detest moronic drivers)

S-

after seeing those photos? Very glad the beetles are pretty stout in the driver protection areas. Nice to escape with comparable minor injuries....(not saying any injuries are a good thing---but that damage looks pretty bad.

Very glad you're in good shape!

Right. I think so. I think her car insurance is covering all the damage. I got this voice message from my own car insurance that said it has been determined that it was her fault. I was pretty sure it was going happen like that no matter how I worded my side to the car insurance ppl (From her car insurance,mine and the other car.) When I was in the ER, the police officer told me before he left that he was going mark it down in the report as not my fault. There was a witness that I'm pretty sure they got his statement and I'm pretty sure he was going say that I had the green light.

What is even better is... they recently put cameras up at this intersection about 3-4 months back. So I'm sure she might have gotten a nice big ticket for going through a red light. Hopefully!! Her insurance has to pay my hospital bills. After I went the ER right after the accident, I went to the ER again to get a CT scan because of awful headaches I was getting for 4-5 days in a row. To make sure I didn't have something wrong.

I had to try to climb out of the passenger's side of my car when I got out because the fireman took one look at the driver's side door and was like, "No. she isn't going be able to get out of the car on this side."

Yeah. I guess you could say that The Pumpkin gave it's life for me. The keyfob was stuck in the keyfob and my step-dad managed to get my keychains and the few other keys off the keyfob. The air bag didn't deploy because I was hit on the driver's side. If they hit me real good from the back of the car or something then it probably would have deployed.

Oh it was really bad. You should have been in the car when it happened! Broken glass everywhere. The trunk was really messed up. All I had in there was a red square box thing that had jumper cables in there. When I went to get things out of the car, it was resting against the back seat so Luckily, someone put it there. When I was in the car, plastic parts of the dashboard popped up. Buttons popped off too. Like for hazard lights button and etc. Lights were on dashboard. It was scary.

I was really lucky that I had my seat belt on and that I did walk away with bruises,some cuts and muscle soreness. I could have lost feeling in my left leg or something. Funny thing was my glasses survived the accident. They must have gotten knocked off my face.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Holy Crap!

I am so glad you are OK. The Pumpkin gave it's life for you. Very few cars can take a shot like that and have the driver walk away. There was a reason that little orange car came into your life.

I would go find an ambulance chasing attorney and see what you can get from the ass that broke the law and hit you. Normally I wouldn't advise legal action for an accident, however, you lost a New Beetle to her negligence.

they should pay for a rental Ferrari until your new custom made Beetle(That they paid for)is ready.

Of course, if they hit Manfred it would be a moot point as they would be dead, and I would be in jail!

Again, So glad you are OK.

Chuckie

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Glad you're ok! My Darla gave her life for me a few years ago. Not a t-bone, but hit in the drivers door as well (nearly a head-on, but I swerved). Stupid Prius crossed the center line. I had my car for 6 1/2 years so it hurt to see her totaled. But I walked away. I had some airbag burns, a few bruises, a gash in my arm and a sprained wrist, but all of my injuries were from the airbag. The driver door was crunched in for sure, but inside the car, at least at first glance, everything looked fine. These cars are beasts when it comes to accidents. I am definitely thankful that my car held up as well as it did.

I didn't get another NB either. I did stay in the VW family though :D

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Oh no. :(

I think everyone, that I know, that has had an accident in their NBs, lived to tell the tale. I don't feel invincible (like Volvo drivers), but I do feel that if the unthinkable ever happened, I'd be alive, and crying at the sight of my mangled New Beetle. Then, I'd attack the moron who did this to us.

Well, that's what I'd LIKE to do. Hope it never comes to that.

I'm sorry for your loss.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
but I do feel that if the unthinkable ever happened, I'd be alive, and crying at the sight of my mangled New Beetle.
I have to be honest...I didn't cry over the Beetle for a few days. I had a bit of a freakout when it happened but I was just so happy to be walking away that I came to terms with her being gone very quickly. Actually, I didn't even cry after the accident until my husband showed up to the scene. I didn't really cry until I sat in her a few days after the accident. And then I bawled my eyes out. I still have her metal budvase and key. I doubt I'll ever get rid of them <3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts