VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My wife's new to her 2005 Mellow Yellow with the 1.8T engine is fun to drive. (She does not have her license yet, so I get to have the fun.) We have some questions about care of the top.

It appears to be a kind of canvas and looks nice and clean. There is very minor wear where the driver would naturally put a hand when getting in or out. It has rained a couple of times and the rain drops do not bead up and roll off. Rather they appear to just absorb into the cloth. Nothing is wet inside, however, and I do not see the absorbed water running off anywhere.

I have looked at the threads about Raggtopp and another similar product. Do I just need to decide on one and apply it?

Thanks!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I don't have any experience with very products but this link on autogeek.com has some others as well as steps to care for a convertible top. Convertible Top Care

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just took care of mine today after a bunch of research, as I have never had a convertible. I ordered this product that everyone swore to and it is fantastic. Comes with a cleaner and a sealer. Now the water just acts like its allergic to my top. I'll try and post a video but I don't know if it will work. Will include a screen shot of the product for you. Very easy to use. Very pleased as my top was leaking everywhere because it would just soak thru the canvas. I got mine from eBay. But Amazon has it as well with a very high rating. Product Vehicle Car Advertising Vehicle service manual

·
Gustav
349 Posts
We use Chemical Guys Convertible top protectant on our Beetles top.
I also use Chemical Guys products for all my Beetle detailing.
I used other brands in the past on our old top but went with CG on our replacement top.
I live in Florida and our Beetle is outside 24/7 after a hot rainy summer the top looks great and still beads up with only one application 4 months ago.
Chemical Guys - Convertible Top Cleaner and Convertible Top Protectant Kit (2 items)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used the 303 kit on the wife's top. Has been on all summer and still beading water. You can find real good prices on ebay for the kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the insight. I ordered the 303 kit and a brush yesterday. I saw a YouTube video where the guy covered the body with plastic when applying the protectant, so I have to get that yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I ordered the 303 kit and a brush yesterday. I saw a YouTube video where the guy covered the body with plastic when applying the protectant, so I have to get that yet.

I didn't cover anything but my windshield , you don't get much overspray like you would with a spray can type deal. I just unlocked my top, lifted it a little and put a few old towels down to hang over the windshield and rolled my windows down. Mine hasn't been done in who knows how long since it was leaking so bad almost like just having the top off in the rain. Mine took the whole bottle. The smell is horrible, I definitely suggest doing it outside in the shade.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
If applying 303 with a brush it will require more product than spraying it on as the top sucks it up quickly.
I did not cover any thing on my beetle just wiped off the over spray as I went.
When I used 303 on my original top I brushed it on.
It took the whole bottle and could have used a quarter of another bottle by the time I finished my second my second coat.
My new top I sprayed on the Chemical Guys after 2 coats I still have enough product left to do the top again after six months.
If that isn't enough, as with all the Chemical Guys products the top cleaner and protectant smells good enough to eat!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I used the 303 product on our 2005 a few weeks ago. I don't think the top has been treated since it came from the factory. I did two coats, which emptied the bottle, but the water still doesn't consistently bead and run-off of some areas of the top. So, I ordered another bottle of 303 and will put a couple more coats on the top when I have the time and a relatively rain and wind free weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was recommended by a High End auto detailer that Ragg Topp was the best out there. (I know everyone has an opinion though) So, I bought this kit on Amazon and used the cleaner this weekend on a black fabric top. It worked really well. It looks better than it did before, even though I thought that it didn't look that bad to begin with. I haven't used the Protectant yet. I'll do that tonight.

Amazon.com: RaggTopp Fabric Convertible Top Cleaner/Protectant Kit: Automotive

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts