VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering whether it is the right way to charge the batter with
battery charger when the a car is parked in the garage. Do we need to disconnect the negative when the battery is recharged? or can we have the battery recharged as both negative and positive are connected ??

Why or why not?:confused::confused:

Thanks,

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
The best way is to have both the terminals hooked to the battery,but if you can't get the negative cable on the battery,you can hook the negative jumper cable to another grounded spot on the motor. Just make sure you hook it to a spot that does not have any type of rubber insulator or pieces as you wont get the battery to charge. I assume you don't run this car daily? Here is a little trick which will help you for a car sitting in the garage. Either order online or if you have a harbor freight store,get a battery tender.Plug it in,hook to your car after the battery has full voltage and the maintainer will keep the battery charged till the next use. I use them on my racecar over the winter,my lawn mower tractors and my other 2 cars I don't use during the winter,including our TDI Beetle.These are pretty good and what 1 have.I have 7-8 plugged in now.If you watch,you can get them for about 6 bucks when they run sales.
Automatic Battery Float Charger

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I have a similar charger like yours. I charge the battery once every week as my Beetle sits in the garage most of the time. Someone
told me I should disconnect the negative cable off the battery when I
have the battery charged, is that true or not???

Attachments

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
It really wont hurt. I take both cables off my cars and use the maintainer but I let both on both tractors and really haven't noticed any difference. In the spring I have no issues starting the cars and I use the tractors to plow snow so I start them frequently.. I like to start the vehicles 1 time a month and it takes a few seconds to put the cable back on,but I don't have the new radios and electronics like new cars have and don't have to mess with resetting the radio etc

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I once talked with an old gentleman here with a collection car. He recommended a battery charger should be used for battery maintenance
if the car is not driven frequently. He told me his baby car has been
driven three times ONLY all the year around while he keeps the battery alive by the charger!

I usually charge the battery once every week. I am wondering how often
we should charge the better if the car is sitting at garage for a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts