NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, a thread with some great information was deleted, so I figured I would post some of the stuff I had posted there, in a new thread! I hate to see some good posts / thoughts be deleted just because people don't share the same opinion. Oh well. I promise, this one won't get deleted.

;)

For the longest time, I've actually believed there is no hell. That we all will be saved. I cannot help but think that no matter what we do, God will forgive us. After a tragedy, you always hear, "They are with God now, while we may not understand, it's part of His plan."

I can't help but think that God does have a plan for EVERYONE. I can't help but think that someone who is raised as a Muslim, lives a very good Muslim life, follows their laws, etc., and has never been introduced to the teachings of Christ, would not perish forever simply because they never knew Jesus. If anything, we failed as Christians for not going out into the world and teaching others.

I finished reading The Shack awhile back. It's about a man who's daughter was brutally murdered, thus causing him to turn from God. He later meets God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit in the shack where his daughter was killed. There are some incredible concepts in that book.

The man kept asking God why he hasn't punished the murderer. God said, "Think about your three children. Now pick one of them to save. The other two, you must condemn to Hell." The man couldn't do it. God's response, "Then how can you expect me to do the same? Regardless of what mistakes they've made, I love ALL my children."

Says a lot. It's an incredible book.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, what does The Shack, and the idea that the world would end have to do with one another?

While The Shack is purely fiction, it gives a great view on our relationship with God. I don't for one second believe that God is a vengeful God who's out to destroy us all. Yes, we have free will, and yes, we'll do things that God doesn't like. But he still loves us all.

Sure, there are passages in the Bible that may point in that direction, but make no mistake about it, while inspired by God, the Bible was written by man. In addition, it has been re-translated thousands upon thousands of times over the years. All by man.

You can really use the Bible to prove any point you wish to make. But when it really comes to your belief system, do you get that from a book written by man? Or do you get that from your relationship with God?

I for one, get it from my relationship with God. It's my faith that has helped build my ideas, not what other people tell me.

So when I see some homeless guy running around the streets of downtown telling everyone the world is about to end, that only reconfirms my beliefs that God loves us all. And we'll be here for quite some time!

And, if I'm wrong. Well, not much I can do about it. I try to be a good Christian every day. I'm not going to be a better Christian because someone warns me our time here is coming to an end. I think God can see right through that strategy. So I just try and be the best person, and the best Christian I can be on a daily basis.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
During the elections, I got into an argument with a woman who was trying to drum up support for a bill I opposed vehemently. Anyway. Point is during that discussion her experiences with the Bible came up, and she tried to say it's all still 100% accurate despite the translations, copies, and so on. My point is that anything touched by man will have received flaws.

If you think about it, the Bible says a lot of stuff that we disagree with in modern times. We don't kill children for disobeying their parents, do we? No, but the bible says we should (Deuteronomy 21:18-21). ;) Then again threats of a whupping might get some kids to fall in line. :D

I agree that we should live to the best that we can be. I honestly can't fathom God being hateful and vengeful - kind of defeats the whole purpose of Christ, no?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,034 Posts
Sure, there are passages in the Bible that may point in that direction, but make no mistake about it, while inspired by God, the Bible was written by man. In addition, it has been re-translated thousands upon thousands of times over the years. All by man.

You can really use the Bible to prove any point you wish to make. But when it really comes to your belief system, do you get that from a book written by man? Or do you get that from your relationship with God?
I have to say that I love the way you think! I am not religious, but I'm open minded and don't mind people who have strong faith. But I get very irritated with people who use the Bible to justify things they do or the way they think, and believe thats its 100% accurate. I think in general, the Bible has some good messages and stories in it...live a good life, be a good person, etc. But honestly, you can't expect a book that was written by humans to be 100% accurate, even from the start. And you can't always traslate very accurately between languages. You can infer (which of course leads to inaccuracies and bias) or you can go by literal translation (which is usually not extremely accurate either). I think the Bible should be used a general guide, but not a strict one. Of course, this a whole different topic. But I was just really happy to see that you see things this way :)

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
I'm so confused. The thread was deleted then brought back then deleted again?
:mad:
Can I get my posts from there? :p My brain was working pretty well then. Not so much at the moment.

Again, I can't wait to read The Shack!

Not to be confused with this book:

:gotme:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,034 Posts
Yeah I missed the more recent happenings in the other thread...seemed alright the last time I had looked at it...

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
Yeah I missed the more recent happenings in the other thread...seemed alright the last time I had looked at it...
And it stayed that way. No one was ever disrespectful. I dunno :dunno:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts