NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Seems Logical.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello great community of new beetle owners, i have some on-going issues i would like to pick your brains on...

First, i have codes for all the good it will do.

P0420, P1570

My issues are as follows:

1. CEL, the thing has been on for awhile now, im still rolling, but i cant seem to isolate it or at least come up with some likely culprits. The code reader has given me two codes in the engine which are p0420 'catalyst system bank 1 efficiency below threshold' and P1570 'engine start blocked by immobilizer static no define' I think this last one may be because the car wasnt actually running, just had the ignition turned.

2. This is a relatively new concern. My gas pedal is making this squeaky noise when i reach a certain point in acceleration. i would say after i reach the half way point in my gear, a little after i typically move up in gears, the noise is created. i guess what im trying to make clear is that i can drive whole trips without hearing it, but if i accelerate quickly, chances are i will hear it squeak sometimes only for a little bit, other times the noise will persist, depending on how long i hold the pedal. Ive checked the pedal with the car off, and i couldnt repeat it. im sure if youve stuck with me until this point youre probably a little confused, i recorded the noise, and while i laugh in the video, its strictly because its a odd noise, im serious about trying to stop this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNbIxqRasfs

If you can help, i would absolutely appreciate it. I dont have a whole lot of money to be throwing at every possibility, so if there are simple ways of determining things i would prefer that route. also dont really have any specialized tools, but i do have a good basic set of tools.

I also am working on my seat belt switch, i reset it while i was in the computer, so it may not come back (i doubt it) but if you know where i can find a replacement for less than 60$ i would also appreciate that.

My car also sounds like a jet engine on startup, and im almost positive its the secondary air pump, and while id love to drill the rivets out, its the kind that doesnt have rivets. i would like to replace it, but i dont have proof its causing any problems besides making my car sound really cool.

Also if anyone has any advice regarding A/C diagnosis, that would be welcome.

In other news, i can absolutely guarantee that 3M's headlight cleaning kit will work. just read the directions and take your time.

I swear i take care of my car, it just has issues, and i dont have much cash. The vehicle works very well getting my from A to B.

THANKS ahead of time!

·
Registered
146 Posts
1. The P0420 is rather generic, implies poor performance from the exhaust/cat converter/O2 sensor. None of them cheap. It could be impacting overall performace- but you suggest it drives fine? If so it's not a worry until it's time to pass inspection so start saving $$
2. The turbo is a drive by wire- so the only thing that moves is the gas pedal that drives a rheostat that tells the computer what to do with the throttle body. Lots of foot dirt gets down by the pedal,so the squeek could be as easy as some WD40 at the pivot. Lay on your back with your head/ear down by the gas pedal and push on the pedal to try and isolate the sound.
3. I've had the jet engine for over 3 years- if it doesnt throw a CEL the only impact is a greater amount of pollu in the air when your engine is cold.
4. If you don't have AC gauges- it's pretty much just visual- does the compressor click on when you turn on the AC? Does the fan run when engine is hot? Then the electrical seems ok. At least buy a can of the recharge stuff that Does have the cheapy gauge on it, then when you hook it up (and before you open the can) you can check to see if there is good pressure, indicates the system isn't leaking. And once you open the can to recharge the system have someone sitting infront of the AC and verify it gets really cold- if it then drops off in temps there is component issue (weak compressor, clogged dryer).
Wishing you luck.

·
Seems Logical.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool, youve given me some things to check out. is there a good way to test the o2 sensor, catalytic converter, or exhaust? or it just a replace and hope that was it kinda deal?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts