VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have found a relatively easy way to get rid of it. We all know the stupid coating that peals and gets all marked up, in the southern states gets all sticky and gooey.
Its a little bit of a process but so far cost me $10 in household items. I'm using rubbing alcohol, a scotch brite pad and a toaster oven.
So I have the toaster oven on, and I put my piece that in trying to clean in. As stupid as that may sound, up here in Canada, its colder than say Florida and Texas. Where I have read on here it goes gooey, so I'm trying to soften it up like it would be down there, I take it out of the oven and have my scotch brite pad dipped in the rubbing alcohol and start rubbing it, put it back in the oven for another 30 seconds and rub it down. :) it would be easier if I had a plastic razor blade, but currently Dont have one. Here is a before pic and a pic after doing my process quickly twice so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New method, heat didn't seem to be doing too much, so I laid down the pad, poured a little rubbing alcohol on it so it was wet, pushed down on my piece with a little bit of force and rubbed it. And so far, one piece done!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rather than using heat, I let the alcohol sit on the piece and the coating starts to bubble up making it easier to clean...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds like a decent idea :) I didn't wanna use it all up at the time. I'll try more things on the next piece.
People on here were saying that the magic erasers work on it, but when I tried it turned out to do next to nothing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have tried giving the parts a bath in rubbing alcohol. So far it didn't change much, but I was impatient and just started scrubbing.

I thought I got most of that crud off, sanded it with 1000 grit (that's the coarsest it have before 80 grit on hand).
And I can still wright with my finger nail in it. Is there still more on it, or am I just special? :p

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is still more on there. You wont be able to do that once they are clean, and I've been told that it will bubble up your paint if you don't get all of it off first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would I just need a more coarse sand paper? I gave the parts a bath overnight in the rubbing alcohol, but it didn't do much, so they are still having a bath.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmmm, I only had to let the alcohol sit for about 5 minutes, and only used a green kitchen scrub...maybe it came off more easily since I am in Florida?
I didn't sand at all until I had all of the goo off, and then it was with 1000 grit super fine wet sand paper.:confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts