NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Official "Tornado Fuel Saver" website

we've all seen the ads for "The Tornado" - the little piece of what looks like twisted aluminum flashing (though it's stainless) that you insert in your air intake hose (between airbox and throttle body) to supposedly increase gas mileage and performance.

The website says "TornadoFuelSaver increases gas mileage anywhere from 7-15%. Dyno testing shows 4-13 added horsepower as well!"

so should we believe it?

the more you think about it, all the Tornado would do is more evenly disperse the incoming air and, at best, create a minimal forced induction effect, since any vortex creates a suction effect. both would result in more fuel being added by the injectors and worse fuel mileage.

the reason i'm asking in this forum is because, if everyone thinks it's worth it, i'd make a ghetto one of my own (rather than paying the 69.95 + shipping that they want for them). like i said, it's as simple as a piece of flashing taken, cut up, and arranged in a fan-blade layout. I and my engineering-student self am always looking for quirky little DIY projects, and this one. if it's easy enough and cheap enough, it might even be mass-produce-able.

thoughts?
 

·
member
Joined
·
253 Posts
Run, don't walk, away from this rip.

Kris,
That thing is TOTAL BS. Popular Mechanics recently did an expose' on several so-called mileage/performance boosters. They tested them all and the "Tornado" actually delivered worse fuel mileage, just as you suspected it would. I found one on-sale at a little accessories shop for $15 years ago. Put it in my Mustang GT - less power, worse mileage.
All those contraptions (magnets, fuel ionizers etc) are just complete rip-offs.
That old adage "If it seems too good to be true..." is spot-on.
juice
 

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
beetlejuice said:
Kris,
That thing is TOTAL BS. Popular Mechanics recently did an expose' on several so-called mileage/performance boosters. They tested them all and the "Tornado" actually delivered worse fuel mileage, just as you suspected it would. I found one on-sale at a little accessories shop for $15 years ago. Put it in my Mustang GT - less power, worse mileage.
All those contraptions (magnets, fuel ionizers etc) are just complete rip-offs.
That old adage "If it seems too good to be true..." is spot-on.
juice
just as i suspected.

you know, the more i look at it, the more it looks like it would restrict performance by filling up your intake tube with metal.
 

·
Too Many Dubs....
Joined
·
160 Posts
Personally, i think they are BS....
If you are an engineering student, ask where the energy required to get the air "spinning" is coming from. I dont see how adding a restriction will create more flow. It will create higher velocity(for a small period of time) but that happens any time you induce a restriction in the system.
It is arguable whether they can help a carbureted vehicle because the theory can be made that it can help fuel atomization since the tornado will be so close to the carb..
But on an EFI car, it has to go through so many bends, the throttle body, a plenum, etc before getting to where the fuel is mixed with the air.
I dont know, if you want to be simple about it, just look at all the expense automakers are going through these days to get more milage out of vehicles. Aluminum body panels, tire research, tribology research, advanced controls, etc. If they could get a 10% milage increase with a intake restrictor that would only cost them 2 dollars, Im thinkin they would be using them.
 

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true true. i was thinking that the air would continue "spinning" as it does after it gets sucked down by a fan. in that, i missed 2 key things. 1) the fan is moving, and 2)the air only spins a few feet after the fan - then it's just pushed. so the chunk of metal in the intake draws even more on the engine than i orignally thought. sorry i missed that. (eh- it's the weekend.)

the more everyone helps look at this, indeed the more pointless its seems, and the harder it is to believe that a company would even put this out. pretty much all the auto performance culture (including some here on the org) has always said the way to better performance is not to restrict your intake, but to open it up. way for the company not to do their research.

p.s.- hey cool you're in kissimmee - that makes you the closest org member to me geographically. (i'm right next door in polk county.)
 

·
big poster turned lurker.
Joined
·
9,487 Posts
:crazy: wny not do a mod that puts an electric fan in the air intake :crazy: so that it's sorta like adding a turbo to a NA engine :crazy: i mean, that would help it, no? :crazy: like why would putting someing as big and clunky as an electronic motor inside the air duct hurt :crazy: The added boose should totally be better than the blockage of over half of the intake diameter :crazy:

:crazy: (worst post of the day, but most useage of the :crazy: smiley, :crazy:) :crazy:
 

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
big poster turned lurker.
Joined
·
9,487 Posts

·
Too Many Dubs....
Joined
·
160 Posts
manoverboard987 said:
the more everyone helps look at this, indeed the more pointless its seems, and the harder it is to believe that a company would even put this out. pretty much all the auto performance culture (including some here on the org) has always said the way to better performance is not to restrict your intake, but to open it up. way for the company not to do their research.

p.s.- hey cool you're in kissimmee - that makes you the closest org member to me geographically. (i'm right next door in polk county.)
Yeah, and you know what I find even more disturbing about the Tornado? SUMMIT SELLS THEM NOW!! I lost a WHOLE bunch of faith in Summit. Used to be a race parts supplier. I guess now they supply anything they can make a dollar on. Thats just sad.

Ah yes, Lake Alfred. Can't say I make it over there much, but if you happen to see a 92 metallic blue Golf with shaved door handles(as well as half the rest of the body), or a black NB with a big front mount intercooler, or a blue-green 93 Mustang on 17" Bullit wheels goin down I-4, hit me up.. haha. I woulda threw my F150 in the mix there too, but it looks like a plain old F150..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
Toad said:
:crazy: wny not do a mod that puts an electric fan in the air intake :crazy: so that it's sorta like adding a turbo to a NA engine :crazy: i mean, that would help it, no? :crazy: like why would putting someing as big and clunky as an electronic motor inside the air duct hurt :crazy: The added boose should totally be better than the blockage of over half of the intake diameter :crazy:

:crazy: (worst post of the day, but most useage of the :crazy: smiley, :crazy:) :crazy:
hahahahahahahahahahahaha. sorry dude I had to. for one there would be a point where the motor would draw more than the fan could deliver creating a restriction and the faster you rev the engine the less boost it would seem make. My theory would be to run an intercooler at least the air charge would be cooler even though it is not a turbo. cooler air would of course call for more fuel so you wouldn't be saving gas but I bet you would see a horsepower jump.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
I think you could make a much better electric turbo system if you used the box method like a gail banks turbo system and feed it with a good size squirrel cage fan like a furnace blower has, those things pump out the air. noooo of course not one as large as a furnace one just one in that style you bunch of goofys.
 

·
Too Many Dubs....
Joined
·
160 Posts
Yeah, but the good thing about those places is the clearance rack..LOL
I stopped at Jegs while driving through one time. It was pretty awesome, but still a wait. Atleast they didnt have different counters though, it was basically like going to Advance where you have a few guys that "help" you then they ring up the parts..So if you are there getting something off the shelf and theres 4 lines with 4 ppl in it waiting for 10 parts that need to be looked up, you're gonna be there a while.

As to the electric fans and intercoolers, please please tell me you guys are kidding. Some groups I know to take seriously, some I know not too, I havent figured this one out yet:)
 

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
Joined
·
858 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
manoverboard987 said:
i'm joking.

i was pretty sure this Tornado thing was a joke in the first place. by starting the thread, i was just validating that.
I remember seeing the ad on tv about that and thinking what a croc :rotfl: :thumbsdn:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
99 Posts
manoverboard987 said:
i'm joking.

i was pretty sure this Tornado thing was a joke in the first place. by starting the thread, i was just validating that.
I've got some swampland for sale if you're interested. :D
 

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
Joined
·
502 Posts
waht their trying to acomplish is rifling... but their is no point puting it in the intake..... bc its just going to hit the back wall of the intake manifold...and then go crazy and disrupt flow to the runners.. now on a turbo car its really pountless bc umm u allready have one spinning at 60k.. so yea... also i have seen heads with rifling in them .. their hard core heads and take months to build... but make crazy power out of it
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top