NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '68 beetle when I was 15 for $500. It drove great for a couple of years and then I took it to a "mechanic" which was recommended to me by other vw drivers and some guys at my dad's work. The car just needed a tune up, but the guy ended up tearing the whole engine down and tried to charge me a ton of money for a rebuild. I had to tow the car to my grandparents' house and park it until I had the time or money to work on it.

Seven years after I first parked it, I finally got the chance to tow it to my house and begin my long task of restoring it and getting it fixed up. So, my '98 and '68 finally met each other.

Now I need to decide whether or not to do a frame up restoration, or just get her running and fix the problem areas. I powder coat, so I have the means to sandblast and coat the frame for FREE, but that also means a lot of time.

I still don't have the time and probably don't have the money but I feel it's about time I give it some attention cause I miss the hell out of driving it.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,409 Posts
good luck on the rebuild---can't wait to see pics. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to get some pics of it this weekend. The body is in fair enough shape, except the fenders and the front clip. The driver side door also has some nice dents in it. The engine is still in pieces, I'm going through it part by part seeing what needs replaced and cleaning it all.

I know it needs a new wiring harness, the old one caught fire a couple of times!

I kinda have to do the build outside which will make it interesting. The painting will be done in the shop I work at though, so that will all go smooth. I have my old band van parked behind it so I can use it as storage.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FINALLY! I got started on the project. The interior is mostly gutted, and hopefully today I'll get the wiring and trunk cleared out. This weekend a couple of friends are stopping by to help me get the body apart and get the frame stripped. Next weekend will be the beginning of paint time.

I was going to start on Tuesday....but there was a little weather problem.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's shots of the interior now:

Yes, I know the camera bag is in the shot in the first pic:D .

There is some substantial work needing to be done to some portions, but over all it doesn't look as bad as I thought.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The more I get into it, the more I'm seeing it's not going to be too bad of a project. I basically need new fenders all the way around, a new front clip, and some repair work on the driver side door and the body is strait. I took most everything out of the trunk today, the wiring is shot to hell, but that's no big deal. I still had a half tank of gas in it. Wonder if it's still any good...

The powder-coating of misc. parts begins this Saturday, hopefully the floor pan next weekend.

It's kinda nice this week because I got a promotion and ended up on a day shift. It gives me all sorts of time to mess with this project! 2:30pm 'till 9:00 unless it snows. It just won't stop snowing.

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
What a sweet ride! And to get to fix it up after it was yours before. Good luck and please keep us posted!!!!:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The body is almost all ready to come off of the chassis. There's a few more parts to disconnect first, but that'll be done tomorrow. With any luck, there will be some nice shiny parts this weekend!

Here's Saturday's progress:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today the trunk got completely gutted. The wiring harness got pulled (it was completely shot) junked the grommets and seal. All the rubber is quite rotten, which I'm not shocked about. It's finally looking quite different.

Today:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, ran my serial number and it's for sure a '68 which means the previous owner did know the correct year. It is also German made and not Mexican made. I don't know what factories VW had operational in the late 60's so I may have to get a hold of some knowledgeable sources to find exactly where it was built. I also found a pretty handy site: buildingabeetle.com. He's working on a '67 that's in MUCH worse shape. Makes my project look like cake.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now, I have been working on this project lately. I've been working on it so hard that I've not taken any pictures at all of my progress:eek: . The car is completely apart, body off the frame, everything ready for fixing up. I had to order a new floor pan on the passenger side since there was hidden rusted through spots. I ordered that, along with other parts today.... some of which included a freeway flyer tranny and the beginnings of an air ride suspension kit. I'll be installing disk brakes on the front, most likely run stock wheels, white wall tires...:cool: .

I am stuck on what color to paint the body. I want to do a two tone scheme, that's for sure. One color is picked out: pearl white. The second is not so easy to settle on. I'm sure I'll see the light one day and make my decision.

Once I get the frame all nice and powder coated, I'll post some pics. Just waiting on the floor plan now!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
hurry dude i need ideas ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm hurrying :D. I got all the replacement sheetmetal now, so I just have to find some time to get the floor pan fixed and welded. Since I'm doing the prep work (grinding, cutting etc.) in my back yard I'm at the weathers mercy. The weather is being a jerk right now.

I HOPE to have the frame re-finished this Saturday. I'm powder coating it sparkling silver.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
nice, cant wait to see some pics

1 - 20 of 28 Posts