NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of all the rain, California now looks like a swamp. I do not have covered parking, just a gravel driveway. So, doing my own work on the car is a bit out of the question at this time. So, off to the dealer I went. Just a simple oil change in the transmission. Big mistake!

Asked to change the oil with synthetic oil. The head tech determined that it was OK to use the bulk mineral oil. It was 80w-90 and not the called for 75w-90 gear oil. He somehow managed to stuff 6 quarts into a 2.1 quart oil pan. Just don't ask why I don't trust dealers.

The transmission now is very stiff in the morning when it is cold. It is also much more notchy when shifting once the car is warmed up. Time will tell if the fuel mileage has changed due to the new oil.

This will be changed out once the swamp dries up.

If you have the dealer do this, watch them very closely.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
hannaco said:
Because of all the rain, California now looks like a swamp. I do not have covered parking, just a gravel driveway. So, doing my own work on the car is a bit out of the question at this time. So, off to the dealer I went. Just a simple oil change in the transmission. Big mistake!

Asked to change the oil with synthetic oil. The head tech determined that it was OK to use the bulk mineral oil. It was 80w-90 and not the called for 75w-90 gear oil. He somehow managed to stuff 6 quarts into a 2.1 quart oil pan. Just don't ask why I don't trust dealers.

The transmission now is very stiff in the morning when it is cold. It is also much more notchy when shifting once the car is warmed up. Time will tell if the fuel mileage has changed due to the new oil.

This will be changed out once the swamp dries up.

If you have the dealer do this, watch them very closely.
Oh my. Thank you for this, it's another in a long list of why I won't trust the dealships regardless of the maker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
kcfoxie said:
it's another in a long list of why I won't trust the dealships regardless of the maker.
I totaly agree, I just do not understand why it is so hard to find a decent shop.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It is because the shop can't find good techs. A good tech is hard to find. A good VW tech is almost impossible to find. The result is that you have a bunch of parts changers. If they throw enough new parts at a problem, one of them is bound to fix the problem.

Any more, if they can't find a computer code, they can't fix the problem. It used to be, a good tech could just listen to the motor and tell what it needed. Today they just hook up a scanner and read the codes. The bad part is, that once they have the code, they may not know what to do about it.

It just drives me nuts (a very short drive), to go into the shop with the codes, and what has to be done. They refuse to work on the car until they can scan it. Bingo! What did I tell you was wrong in the first place? Then there is a good chance that it will be done wrong.

Part of the problem is training. Kids watch TV and see the ad saying big money can be made in the auto repair biz. Just take our 90 day course and get a high paying job. Phouie!! Auto repair is more than a video game. It takes a lot of training, and understanding of basics to repair a car.

The old days are gone where all you needed was a screw driver and socket set to do repairs. Now you need math, and computer skills just to understand how the car works. If you don't understand how a sensor works, how would you ever know when it is bad, or something else is causing the problem?

End of rant.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
My great grandmother told me when I was 7: "Sonny, computers are the future. I can see it now in my old age. You need to learn to play with them."

She could not have been more right. The heart of today's VW is in the ECU -- not necessarily the engine anymore. You have to get intoo and past the computer before you can do anything else with the car these days. That scares off the mature in the field; they don't like those gizmos and gadgets. It also means it's another tool that needs repair and upkeep to work. I also means snotty nosed-rude and spiteful brats can pay $8,000 and get a "degree" from a papermill and replace them for half what the real tech would be paid because the kid doens't know any better and was lured in on promises of wealth.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not so sure it is the electronics that are chasing to older techs away. I think it might be the young brats that are the problem. Along with the shop owners trying to cut their costs. Why keep a senior tech that costs $100K a year when you can get two or three young entry level techs for the same cost? The young tech will tell you that they are the best that there ever was. Just ask them.

Ran into one of them a while back. I needed a new key. He said that only he could make the key work. With a "just watch this", took the computer out of the trunk, and adapted the key in the parking lot. Every now and then they need to get a shot of reality.

Some of the best techs with electronics that I know are the 20 year vets.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
hannaco said:
I needed a new key. He said that only he could make the key work. With a "just watch this", took the computer out of the trunk, and adapted the key in the parking lot. Every now and then they need to get a shot of reality.
So... did he get the key working, or was it a failure?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was my key, and I just did the adaptation there in the parking lot. Why pay them for something that I can do?
It did take a bit of arguing with them to just give me the key. They were convinced that they and God are the only ones that can adapt keys or key fobs to the car.
Want to start an argument with the service guys? Show up with a CAT fuel filter installed. Be prepared to hear everything from you will kill your injection pump to your injectors will die.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
hannaco said:
It was my key, and I just did the adaptation there in the parking lot. Why pay them for something that I can do?
It did take a bit of arguing with them to just give me the key. They were convinced that they and God are the only ones that can adapt keys or key fobs to the car.
Want to start an argument with the service guys? Show up with a CAT fuel filter installed. Be prepared to hear everything from you will kill your injection pump to your injectors will die.

I have a CAT 2um fuel filter in my sister's 99 TDI and I hear it EVERY time I go to VW (hey, $45 for a 10k oil change ISN'T too bad). Luckily though, the advisors know enough (now) that I know what I'm doing with these cars so I don't get the condescending tone, but rather just looks of dismay. If only they know what else I've done to it. :D

VAG-COM is wonderful, isn't it? :) I was able to adapt my new remote in the parking lot as well with the 99, and with my previous 2000 Jetta (I had the SKC for that). I seriously hope I don't lose a key with my 05...Geko doesn't give us the SKC anymore. :(

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For a good argument show up with a homemade catch can installed between the CCV and intake.
Every service manager knows everything, and what is best for your car. Just ask them! Usually takes three visits before the light turns on. Had to show the last one what a properly protected EGR looks like after 150K miles. I got a satisfying "where's all the crud?" from the last one. He could still see bare metal in the intake. Haven't yet gotten one to sell catch cans, or oil analysis kits. Yea, I'm going to ruin my motor by not changing the oil every 5000 miles. Now, they would be shocked to know the last drain interval was 18K miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts