NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a green top sender on Mrs TurboTurbo's 01 a few months ago after the CEL came on. Cleared the code after, and all was good. CEL returned last week. Checked the code, it was the "outside of temperature range". Had to be thermostat. I asked her about the heat in the car, she reported that the floor heat was cool/warm, not "hot". So today when she returned home (after a 30 minute drive), I had her leave the car on when she pulled in the garage. Plugged in my bluetooth adapter, called up Torque on my phone, and checked the coolant temperature...

165F.

Yep, I would say it needs a new thermostat. Her mileage has been decreasing with the last few tanks. Used to be 31mpg, her fill up today reported just under 26mpg.

Off to the parts store tomorrow! Are there brands of tstats to avoid (or look for)? I'll go to VW if I have to, but I would rather not.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
thermostat

I did a green top sender on Mrs TurboTurbo's 01 a few months ago after the CEL came on. Cleared the code after, and all was good. CEL returned last week. Checked the code, it was the "outside of temperature range". Had to be thermostat. I asked her about the heat in the car, she reported that the floor heat was cool/warm, not "hot". So today when she returned home (after a 30 minute drive), I had her leave the car on when she pulled in the garage. Plugged in my bluetooth adapter, called up Torque on my phone, and checked the coolant temperature...

165F.

Yep, I would say it needs a new thermostat. Her mileage has been decreasing with the last few tanks. Used to be 31mpg, her fill up today reported just under 26mpg.

Off to the parts store tomorrow! Are there brands of tstats to avoid (or look for)? I'll go to VW if I have to, but I would rather not.
I would go with an OEM part here and avoid the aftermarket junk. I did mine 3-4 years ago but I do remember you have to remove the right headlight and move the alternator out of the way. Good luck to ya

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I would advise testing any new thermostat in a pan of boiling water to make sure it opens. I blew a head gasket one time when a new thermostat didn't open and the engine overheated. If it were me, I'd get the VW thermostat and check it also.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have been preaching that the ONLY way you can confirm if a thermostat is working properly is to connect a real time scan tool and measure the temp. You may need a temp sender, but you more likely need BOTH.

Many, many cars I run across are running chronically low coolant temps. I also think the 1.8t oil pick up clogging up was partially due to chronically cold running engines and oil temps.

A properly operating 1.8t should run at 200-205F at idle once fully warmed up.

When I replaced my stat on my 2003 1.8t, I did not touch the alternator. Use a 1/4" drive socket set and a wobble extension or universal joint and you can replace the stat without tanking hardly anything out. I recall I may have had to remove 1 nut on the alternator holding a wiring harness that made it tricky to reach the lower bolt?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If you plan to DIY or even pay attention to what is going on under the hood, you need to invest in a scan tool.

This is my go to favorite generic tool that I use ALL the time, first tool I ALWAYS grab before I break out the laptop.

Hot Launch Creader VI OBD2 OBDII EOBD Code Reader

Best bang for the buck, real time data, on tool graphing. Graphing is not great, but is helpful at times.

This is cheaper than 1 hour of labor at almost any shop that I am aware of.

Or get something like Ultra Gauge - UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

It can display real time data and check and clear generic trouble codes. Kind of a neat tool that also provides a lot of fuel economy info and other run time data.

Other option is VCDS Lite, but this is getting into real money. Unless you get a $15 interface and use the Trial/Unregistered version.

Given these cars have no temp gauge, you need something that can read and display the engine temp along with other things like charging Voltage.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
iphone

Or if you are using an Iphone this adapter works pretty good. I used the apple application called fuzzycar.

ELM327 wifi adapter $10-30 bucks on ebay, do a search for it.
fuzzycar $5 bucks.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back with an update. New stat installed, coolant is now 210F. Heat works. It is a bitch to get that bottom stat housing bolt back in.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
alternator

Back with an update. New stat installed, coolant is now 210F. Heat works. It is a bitch to get that bottom stat housing bolt back in.
told U, could have saved you some time by removing the alternator in the first place and make sure the thermostat housing is seated correctly, critical component that you gotta make sure it makes a good seal and the o-ring is not pinched. But you got it done,,,,,,,,,,,good

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,412 Posts
TB, WP and tensioner replaced 20K miles ago...

Ikiane is throwing no codes or warning lights, heat's working normally, but coolant level waaayyy over normal in the overflow tank...:(

time to hook up the scan tool.

coolant temp? 165-167.

oh, well, time for a new thermostat.

thanks for the tips, folks-much appreciated. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts