NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2005 NBC owner
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, about 6 months ago, my check engine light came on, took my beetle in (2005 convertible automatic), they replaced the thermostat. I also had my tires replaced and an oil change ect.

All was well until 6 weeks ago. My check engine light came on again, took it got it scanned, said my thermostat was the problem. I was going to take it back since it was just replaced, but the check engine light went off for about 1 month. Then yesterday, the light came on again, and also the red temp icon thingy was blinking. Car then sat in a parking lot and was fine - no lights- for almost my entire commute home (about 2/3 of the way home, 30 minute commute), then did it again.

What is this? should I take it in?

·
Registered
146 Posts
The flashing red light indicates your coolant level is Low.
It can go off/on intermittently as the engine heats/cools.
Six months ago you could have just topped up the coolant, but the place you took it to realized you've done no maintenance to your car.
So they sold you the laundry list, and had to include a thermostat to make it seem like they fixed something (doesn’t it sound like it would fix just about any temperature thing?)

Now the light is flashing again.
So the first task is to fill the coolant to the right level- WITH APPROVED COOLANT.
I suggest using a Sharpie to mark the water line when full.
And then check to see if the flashing red goes away.
If it does- check your coolant again with the next fill up, did it go below the line?
If it dropped, and I suspect it will, it's time to look for leaks.
The most common being the dreaded water pump failure, so start with the left front of the engine and look for a dried pink trail to the ground.
If the light ever flashes then STAYS red- stop and pull over because That indicates your overheating and need to cool down or damage may occur.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Definitely check your coolant level first.

Sounds like wherever you are taking the car isn't really troubleshooting well. Is this a VW shop?

I would also look into the coolant temp sensor as a culprit. What is exact code number that is coming up?

·
2005 NBC owner
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first off ziptron- my care is well maintained, so that comment was not appropriate and was rude.

Second off, the place I use is a VW shop, go there for everything, and this time they got different codes than when I scanned it myself and at a local shop. It is the water pump, and its gonna be a costly repair, but I love my car.....

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Get the timing belt and everything changed out as well.

I'm still interested on what the actual codes are. I guess they found a leak on the pump?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm sorry if it sounded snarky, was just frustrated at the shop that appeared to do you wrong based on your story.
Hard to belive that water, oil , and tires can all need replacing at one time unless they are just piling on the charges.
They could at least have pointed out that the Flashing red is for low coolant, that knowledge would have made your current situation less stressful.
I'm glad to here they caught the water pump going, better to pay the price for that than for a melted motor.

·
2005 NBC owner
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry if I was snarky too, but 3 days without my car-driving my hubby's granny car, plus 3 15 hour work days made me crabby.

To make a long story short, I had the tires replaced and an oil change done at the time of the other repair because I had the money to do so, and it all needed to be done anyway.

I had the belt replaced too, and apparently my coolant fan was broken in half. I guess because its been so cold here, its been able to keep cool enough, but now that spring has sprung it couldn't compensate.

I have all the parts they took out and yep. Broken fan, leaky/corroded pump...

They were very upset that I was back so soon after fixing all that stuff that they took 300 bucks off my bill (hardly charged me for labor)

UGH. Silly beetles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts