NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello bug community,

Is it fine if I didn't replace my thermostat after flushing the coolant system? (My bug: a grey 2004 convertible 1.9 tdi 74kw)
Btw about the flushing, I don't think that I have completely emptied the coolant system thanks to the drain plug (driver side) because when I filled it with the G13 antifreeze I didn't put 6L (as preconised with ATD motor code) but 3.5L+-. Is it normal?

Greatings from Belgium 馃嚙馃嚜.

Registered
That would have been a good time to replace the thermostat and would have helped drain the coolant out of the engine block. If the thermostat was working ok; you should be fine, a sticking or defective thermostat will typically throw a trouble code.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
That would have been a good time to replace the thermostat and would have helped drain the coolant out of the engine block. If the thermostat was working ok; you should be fine, a sticking or defective thermostat will typically throw a trouble code.
Alright I'll wait 2more years and I'll change it. Thanks for responding that fast! Btw can you explain how to "place back" the belly pan (center shield) because me and my dad can't figure out on how to "reput" it back into place. I heard that replacing that plastic center shield with an aluminium is good and offers better protection but unfortenately it costs a lot...

Registered
The convertibles has a aluminum "x" brace under the cross member/brace and then the tdi might have some sound deadening material or shield? The USA spec new beetle convertible; never came with a tdi engine and so, i don't know what it came with. Can you post a photo of what you have?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The convertibles has a aluminum "x" brace under the cross member/brace and then the tdi might have some sound deadening material or shield? The USA spec new beetle convertible; never cam with a tdi engine and so, i don't know what it came with. Can you post a photo of what you have?
Tommorow I can post some photos (it's currently 2am here in Belgium) , there is as you said a deading material at the top of the center shield.

Registered

This is what i have seen on a 2.5L gas engine, USA spec new beetle convertible; a bottom aluminum plate with plastic sound deadening shields on the sides. The car i was working on had this brace missing; i had to get a used one, there are four bolts, that secure it to the bottom of the car. Two bolts on the front, that bolt into a bumper bracket/support and two on the back, that connect to a threaded insert on the cross member.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Tommorow I can post some photos (it's currently 2am here in Belgium) , there is as you said a deading material at the top of the center shield.

This is what i have seen on a 2.5L gas engine, USA spec new beetle convertible; a bottom aluminum plate with plastic sound deadening shields on the sides.
Mine don't have that 'X' look , I'll show you some pictures tommorow. Those two "side skirts" are the problem I don't know how to screw them with the center shield , the left "side skirt" pops out when I want to screw it with the center shield.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I see where thoses ones go , don't you have a explanatory video maybe?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts