VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2000 1.8T with 99,000 miles on it, to replace my recently totaled malibu (yech).
It is visually in great shape, what do I need to look for mechanically etc before buying. I would put 100mi a day on it during my commute (75% interstate @ 80mph), and plan on keeping it 2-3 years. I live near Rockford, IL so the heated leather seats are nice. Are there any aftermarket warranties worth it for this, as I am not very mechanically inclined.
Thanks for all potential help.
Bub

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Here is a nice easy read to get your thread started with some good information. Make sure you checkout the worksheet link. Call the seller and try to fill out that sheet too. It may help you out.

Also just make sure the timing belt, the spark plugs and wires, and water pump was changed already. See if the car had any transmission work or accident damage. Oh and run a Carfax report too! With a 100 mile commute, I think you may also want to look into the TDI Diesel engine! Much better MPG thant the 1.8T and 2.0 engines.

Finally,
to the org!

·
Ret.
839 Posts
I am looking at a 2000 1.8T with 99,000 miles on it, to replace my recently totaled malibu (yech).
It is visually in great shape, what do I need to look for mechanically etc before buying. Bub
A huge issue here is whether the timing belt and water pump have been replaced recently. If so, you'd want to know when. If not, then this car is a ticking time bomb until they are replaced. The damage caused to the engine can be run in the thousands if these items are allowed to break. This type of maintainence should be done much earlier than this, but there's no guarantee it has.

Please check on this for your own sake. If you buy the car and don't know if this stuff has been replaced, allow about $450-800 in your budget to do that, or take that into consideration on the asking price.

·
Low & Slow
1,889 Posts
1.8T has no wires either. they are coil to plug. and not just timing belt and water pump but all the tensioners and thermostat as well. i would look more into a 2001 myself i think they made some nice changes to them. brake light switches go bad fast too as well as the secondary air injection pumps. i would ask about those too.

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
Your daily commute being 100M, you should seriously look at the 1.9tdi version. It would make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would LOVE the TDI, but sadly there aren't many around here and none within my budget :( I should be able to get this for $6k out the door whereas a similar TDI would cost me ~$10k.
BUB

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Where are you? There are 3 TDI NBs selling for around $6k in my area? Two Black and One Grey. Search autotrader.com asap before you make the jump!

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Where are you? There are 3 TDI NBs selling for around $6k in my area? Two Black and One Grey. Search autotrader.com asap before you make the jump!
I just saw your post where you said Illinois.

I found in your area:
This one
This one

This one

I hope this gives you an idea of some sort. You could also do like Beej and buy a used TDI from ebay. Hers needed some work, but ran like a champ afterwards. She also had to roadtrip to pick it up but I think she'll be the first to tell you it was well worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
1 TDI within 60miles at 6k or less. 160k miles vs 99k... dosen't really compare
BUB

Edit... looked at what you showed, with negotiations I might get it for 6k out the door but the mileage difference is significant (although one was at 108K not very significant but price 1500 more before taxes etc).
I also ran a worst case scenario and with gas at 3.50 and Diesel at 4.50, the TDI getting 50Mpg and the 1.8 getting 30 the MOST I could save is 700 a year. Where as at current rates 1.88 and 2.50 with 30 for the gas mpg and 42 for the diesel it is savings of 1.50 per week... less than 100 per year.
I'm not convinced yet... I want it, and if I could get it easily (more locally than what you listed) I probably would, but I have to do all this tomorrow pretty much.
Thanks for all the time you have been putting in with the help, I really want the NB but am skittish about repair history and future.
BUB

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
160k miles on a TDI is literally nothing. I'm surprised it wasn't at 200k actually. Those engines are known to literally go forever! Just check out the vw TDI club website. TDIclub.com

Besides, those were just some TDIs in your area. The car you buy is honestly all up to you. :)

·
Low & Slow
1,889 Posts
yeah i agree. your looking at double the mpg from a 1.8t to a 1.9tdi. so 100 miles per day would equal about $14 a day on a 1.8t and about $9 on a 1.9tdi if gas prices are like that in your area. thats $5 a day. $1300 a year as a rough estimate if you work 5 days a week. and tdi has less expenses. less moving parts and less heat = less problems. so in a year you would make your money back. but thats just me. and i bought my kit from ecstuning.com too along with the lightened pulleys.

·
Ret.
839 Posts
Double the mileage from a 1.8T to a 1.9TDI? I'm getting as high as 32 highway on my 1.8T...whether that's typical or not, I don't know. Double that would be pretty hefty, but nice.:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought it... dealer went "halfsies" with me on the timing belt and pump replacement (actually I paid $300 more and he will get it done) plus he will give me a loaner while it gets done, so that's nice.
I am nervous / excited.... It kinda makes me want to "shoop".
Thanks for all the advice.
BUB

·
Ret.
839 Posts
I bought it... dealer went "halfsies" with me on the timing belt and pump replacement (actually I paid $300 more and he will get it done) plus he will give me a loaner while it gets done, so that's nice.
I am nervous / excited.... It kinda makes me want to "shoop".
Thanks for all the advice.
BUB
Excellent!
Very Important:
Be sure to insist on a water pump with a metal impeller...OEM VW ones have a plastic impeller. Greatly inferior to the metal ones, and have even been known to break apart and damage engines. Be sure and change tensioners and thermostat as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts