NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police: Buyer Sets Dealership Ablaze Over SUV Price

POSTED: 10:33 am CST February 6, 2006

MIAMI -- Miami-Dade authorities said a man caused nearly $1 million in damages at a Ford dealership.

Gerald Georgettis is accused of driving his newly purchased vehicle through the Metro Ford showroom, pouring gasoline on it and setting a fire.

Miami-Dade police said Georgettis was upset about the price he paid for a new Ford Escape. The sport utility vehicles cost about $20,000, but it wasn't immediately clear what Georgettis paid for his.

Fire officials said the blaze scorched about a dozen cars, including a limited edition 2006 Ford GT Heritage. Only 250 of the cars that sell for $150,000 were made.

Georgettis is charged with first-degree arson and a felony criminal mischief. He posted a $1,500 bond.

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
Now if he could get all the other fraud owners to do the same thing this world would be a safer place. (ford's are junk).

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I once felt this way about a dealership: Jerry Solomon Lincoln Mercury in Renton,WA.

They ripped me on stuff that they even put in writing in the agreement on a used Jeep and then refused to honor.

Thankfully I have better impulse control than this gentleman. :)

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
wow! this is music to my ears!!!
the GT sux. there are so many better cars out there. and besides, it bares the name Ford.
buh bye fords! :firedevil

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I don't think this guy should be made a hero. He is an arsonist, vandal, and felon. If he was mad, there were certainly other ways to deal with it, other than setting fire to a business.

No, I don't think this is cool. :mad: What if he did this to our beloved VW's?

·
Grandma LOVES bubbles!!
1,450 Posts
He might have "stuck it to the man" but with being charged with first-degree arson and a felony criminal mischief, he's "stuck it to himself". I imagine he'll be paying for this laspe of judgement for a long, long time. Seems like there could have been a better way to vent his frustration than destroying a million dollars worth of someone else's property!:confused:

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not condoning his behavior mind you. I just thinks its amazing to see somebody lose their civility for a few minutes. One of those "I wish I could do that" but not really moments. Almost as if it were a news clip about a TV show. The guy really is a putz, but if this makes the dealership reconsider their customer service methods, then maybe not all is lost.

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
mentalVdub said:
wow! this is music to my ears!!!
the GT sux. there are so many better cars out there. and besides, it bares the name Ford.
buh bye fords! :firedevil
Oh yes the Vehicular Authority has spoken!

The GT rocks, I would own it.

Mmm, Total Hotness

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Yeah, I've had a jones for the GT-40 since about 1965. If I could fit in it, I would certainly love to drive one.

Regarding protests: it's much more effective to do the protest across from the dealer. I've seen this story many times over the years, starting with a guy who bought a lemon pickup (GM, I think it was) in Austin about 20 years ago. He had a sign painter make him a couple of signs from 4x8' plywood, which he mounted in the back of the truck. They announced something like "Mungpie Chevrolet sold me a lemon and won't fix it".

The guy parked his truck right in front of the dealership and left it there until the dealer finally relented. That seems like a much more productive solution, even if it doesn't get you the instant gratification.

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Um, did he, or did he not sign the contract presented and then drive the car off the lot in the first place? Did the sales guy/gal put a gun to "his head" and make him sign that contract?

If he allowed himself to be ripped off, then shouldn't he have set fire to his own house???

Buyer remorse is not an excuse to harm others or their property....:thumbsdn:

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
gilligan said:
Now if he could get all the other fraud owners to do the same thing this world would be a safer place. (ford's are junk).
My brother drives a 99 Ford Taurus that has over 120,000 miles on the odometer. He bought the car from us and we bought it used and niether we nor he has ever had an issue with it. I have had more problems with my New beetle than I ever had with the Ford, but I do not think my car is a piece of junk. I think people get ahold of cars that have been abused or abuse them themselves (by basically driving them into the ground) and when they have a problem with them they seem to forget the days, weeks, months, or even years that that car has worked it's butt off for them. And yeah this guy is an idiot he didn't hurt anybody but himself with his stupid act of vandelism.

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
My ford is 40 this year and still running great, I doubt many cars made now will be still going in 40 years! I have owned 3 other fords(1991 mustang 5.0 vert, 99 windstar and 02 explorer) and never had anything go wrong with them--ever! Okay one recall with my explorer but it was the rear window hinge thingy- it was fixed in a half hour. I'd take a GT anyday! :) I don't think it was right what the dude did, geez, a tad bit extreme.
~Shelly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts