NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Jeep guy and know my way around one inside and out. VWs, not so much. Long story short, wife getting new job and approx 70 mile round trip everyday. Need to get a fuel efficient vehicle. Our Dodge 1500 w/ the Hemi isn't. She would love to have a Bug. We are looking at an 04 GL couple ond an 05 GL convertible. From reading, I have discovered the water pump/ timing belt changing schedule. What else should I look for. Is there major body rusting issues to look for. How about uni-body frame issues. Anyhting you can help me with will be great. We live in a snow belt/ lake effect area in Michigan and can get some deep snow in a hurry. How does the Bug do in the snow?

Thank you for any help you folks can give me.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Rust and frame issues are all but non-existent. As to a hatchback or vert, the vert tops are well insulated and quiet. By '05 the bugs were worked out (I have an '05 NBC). But, you're either a vert person or your not. Never understood looking at both. Most issues are electronics and cheaply made plastic parts. Shop for low mileage. Get all the service records you can acquire. Timing belt and water pump are items which must be addressed, 50k or so on a turbo, 70k on a 2.0L

Understand the Beetle is a novelty car and requires a lot more attention than cars such as Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai, which only require oil changes and gasoline.
Here it is expressed as best I've seen it explained, courtesy one of our members -
To the newbie, courtesy “billymade”
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/50898-anyone-ever-experienced.html
I have owned three, and love them.

For exceptional fuel mileage, you should be looking at a TDI NB (diesel, +/- 50 mpg) Expect 22-28 mpg with the gas models, and the Turbo requires premium fuel.

Read around, a lot of the posts you see are the result of cars that are up in miles, and/or poorly taken care of, so take many things with a grain.

Good luck in your quest, post up any specific vehicle your looking at and we'll give you a learned opinion.

MORAV

·
Registered
553 Posts
In youre area you would be better served with a toyota corolla or camry IMHO. Better mileage than a gas beetle and easier to maintain, cheaper parts and better used part availability. If you get a TDI that would be worth youre while as the mileag is unbeatable, the longevity is astounding and the cool bug factor to boot. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
omfg!!!!!!!!! jason i think you just solved my issue of my engine getting so hot that i burn my hand on the hood <3......because i drive my baby like its a formula 1 lol

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Driving that far every day I wouldn't get a automatic. In fact using my year of ownership as experience I wouldn't get a Beetle period.

There has yet to be a time where everything that is flaking out on my car has been fixed. Fix one thing and 2 other things freak out. The more I work on my repair list the longer it gets.

Get a Honda or Toyota and rest assured she isn't going to call you every other month because the Beetle is having a temper tantrum.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
My NB was my daily for 6 1/2 years and made many a long trip as well. I never had any serious issues with her. Her shift linkage went out when visiting my parents once, so I had to have her towed home. Busted the oil pan, but that was my fault. No real electrical problems to speak of, and she was a '99 (which tend to be problem children) and drank no oil. Great car. I had it all through college and it was great for it...good mileage, peppy, fun.

We have a Honda as well, but my Beetle was our reliable, good car. The Honda has 173k+ on it with a failing automatic. My NB had less than 102k on her when she was totaled and a 5-speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The deal will be done on Wednesday night. We are getting a 2005 NBC w/ 2.0 automatic. It has 95,000 miles. Really clean inside and out. Spotless service record according to Carfax. I would imagine I am going to have to replace water pump/ timing belt soon.

Thanks for pointers. I have done a great deal of research over the past few days/ weeks on VW's and feel comfoprtable w/ our decision. Hopefully it will pay off.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
omfg!!!!!!!!! jason i think you just solved my issue of my engine getting so hot that i burn my hand on the hood <3......because i drive my baby like its a formula 1 lol
Ragging out a turbo Beetle running 87 octane. Poor car - happy mechanic shop.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The deal will be done on Wednesday night. We are getting a 2005 NBC w/ 2.0 automatic. It has 95,000 miles. Really clean inside and out. Spotless service record according to Carfax. I would imagine I am going to have to replace water pump/ timing belt soon.

Thanks for pointers. I have done a great deal of research over the past few days/ weeks on VW's and feel comfoprtable w/ our decision. Hopefully it will pay off.
Obviously "eyes wide open!", so Welcome!

Lot's of good information here for the NB Owner, changing ownership record with VWofA, checking on open recalls, spare keys, etc, etc.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

Try to secure the following or negotiate it in the price: 1) Spare key with remote fob, this will run $200-$250 from a Dealer (the car came with two, and a Valet Key), 2) Owner's Manual, (used $50 to $150), 3) Convertible top boot, dress boot, cover, tonneau cover, parade boot, depending on color, used $100-$150, new $350-$900 4) Windstop with case, used $100-$200, new $350+.

Be sure and post up some pics on a new thread when you have a chance, everyone here loves pictures -
Photos: New Beetles - NewBeetle.org Forums

Btw, except for title chain history, don't put ANY stock in a Carfax report!

Ragging out a turbo Beetle running 87 octane. Poor car - happy mechanic shop.
...engine ABUSE!

and to say nothing of the poor brake system...
because i drive my baby like its a formula 1 lol
M.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Also, I would roll the back seat windows up and down like 200 times before you buy the car. Those things break more often than I break wind...and that's a lot.

And I agree with you MORAV. Car fax really only reveals title history and some wrecks. Maintenance wise it is useless because what, 1 in 25 people maybe use the dealership for all repairs? Wrecks are only listed when a police report is done. If I was racing and ran off the road and hit a tree there wouldn't be a police report. There would just be me, my garage, and a list of parts to get off Ebay or a junkyard.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Okay...

Really, I am happy for the both of you!

Thinking about it a little, here's some more information. Good detailing product source www.autogeek.net and Raggtop Cleaner and Protectant is a MUST. Register, they are always running specials and have great product reviews and How-to Videos.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-detailing-cleaning/50959-ragg-top-cleaner-great.html

New owners always seem to have problems correctly operating the top, not like any other top you have every dropped!
NB Convertible Top – Operational Video, courtesy pencilneck
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/50938-instructional-video-beetle-convertibles.html#post743232

Replacing headlight and foglight bulbs
Oshram Bulbs (NOT Oshram Sylvania - best US, but junk)
Car Bulbs, Headlight Bulbs, Xenon Bulbs from Philips and Osram, Philips Xtreme Power, Osram NightBreaker globes - Powerbulbs.
They are available with the standard bases used in NBs and are legal in the US. I have two threads, here and over on the Vortex, with very positive reviews of these bulbs and I have linked a very good online source in both threads. Go here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/52075-oshram-v-oshram-sylvania-bulbs.html?highlight=oshram
Or here-
VWVortex.com - Best headlight replacement

Oil Changes - Mobil 1, 0w40 or Castrol Syn 5w40, PERIOD, don't question it, just use it, and Mobil 1 syn filters are an excellent choice over conventional filters. 2.0L - every 10k miles, do't waste your money doing it more often.

And don't know your wife's musical preferences, but the seat console is pre-wired for the 6cd Changer (P&P), available new, around the web for about $50 and if you'll check under the heated seat switch console in the lower center dash console, you should find an external iPod jack, about an inch back and an inch to the left from the right hand side. Here's the DIY on the 6cd Changer
http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/47665-6-cd-changer-console-install-diy.html

Oh yeah, and wipers - Bosch Icons, beam blades, great for summer and winter, built in wind deflectors to keep 'em tight on the windshield and no ice build up (kinda like the old winter wiper blades when blades were not so exotic.

Enjoy! :)

M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She is real excited. I was sitting here wondering if I should run synthetic. I run it in the Wrangler and was figuring I would in the NB. Read about the top protectant. It sounds like a good idea. Top on the Jeep is not cloth, for good reason too. I will post pics soon and looking forward to chatting with everyone. Just what I need, another forum to watch. LOL.
All vehicles have issues. They are just one of lifes obsticles we have to live with. Really looking forward to learning about VWs. It may bring back memories from my late teens when I owned a 1977 Audi Fox.

Have a Jeepin friend that has a NB and warned me about the keys. Donna has a tendency to misplace keys. She has been warned.

Thanks for all your input and tips.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Donna has a tendency to misplace keys. She has been warned.

Thanks for all your input and tips.
She may have been warned, but it'll be your check book. Just make sure you have a spare, and with the Immobilizer III make sure it's a key AND a fob, not just a Valet. The cost is exponetial when you lose it AND don't have a duplicate of both. In the event you only get one key and fob, visit www.sidewinder.com after reading this thread http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52619-2002-beetle-help.html?highlight=sidewinder
I had to purchase a second when I bought my NBC a year ago, didn't want to even travel back from Miami with the car without one, and had the Seller handle it for me. Automotive Locksmith, Dealer NOT required, $185.

Btw, I have a '01 Vette Rag, and a '95 Z28 Rag, but I still like driving Momma's NBC (of course I drive it with the 2nd position "Sport" shift pattern on the automatic side, or the tip and drive it like a stick without the clutch).You will too!

M.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Beetle

Do yourself a favor and get a TDI beetle. I just bought a 06 TDI 2 weeks ago and love it! Why get 20MPG when you can get 45? The 06 body is a little different also with different bumpers and flat side fenders. I think they look WAY BETTER! Just lowered mine 2 inches and it is way cool.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts