NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 2000 new beetle with the 1.8 turbo engine. The car has approx. 100k miles. Any areas I should look at when buying a car like this that might be a cause for concern? I presently have a 98 beetle with the 2.0 engine but have not looked at a turbo before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Check the car's maintenance records. Make sure it's been well maintained, especially since it has 100K on the clock.

I can't think of any turbo-specific things to look out for. Well, that's not true. The diverter valve can fail, especially one that has 100K on it. To check if it's good or bad, take it off and push the diaphram in with a pencil. If it puts up a fight and springs back with some force, then it's good. Also, geep an eye on the coilpacks and the MAF. Those are 2 things that can screw up your day, but if the car has been well maintained then you shoudn't have a problem.

As far as anything else, treat it as you would a 2.0.

You will not be disappointed with the 1.8T engine. Lots of power potential if you're into modding and it's been nothing but reliable for me. :cool:

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
Definitely check to see if the timing belt, pulleys, and water pump have been replaced. The 1.8t is a good engine if it has been properly maintained and not abused by treating it like an indy car. The main thing with turbo engines is if the turbo was allowed to properly cool before shut down...this would be very hard for you to check on.

Listen to the engine and take the car for a spin. Once the car has warmed, step down on the gas pedal hard and you should feel the car pull forward and you should hear a whining noise from the engine. If these happen, then you are good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. What if the dealer does not have access to the service records. On inspection can you tell if there are issues with the turbo besides those you have mentioned?

·
Auto X
46 Posts
Check the fuse panel on top of the battery..
The fuses can overheat and cause melting and eventually fry your ac fans.
Check for any oil leaks around the turbo fittings..cracks in the turbo housings
Check for any boost leaks (Intercooler and associated plumbing)
TIMING BELT.. TIMING BELT.. TIMING BELT!!
If you cant get a answer, then replace and negotiate.. around $400..
Clutch..

Besides that.. not much..

·
MST3K
28 Posts
Hey, I would really shop around on that 2000, because when I bought mine in May, it only had 60,000 miles. thats a lot of driving on it, and a lot of more things are going to go out on it and have to be replaced soon. I love my 1.8T 2000 but if it had that many miles on it I would not buy it. look on autotrader.com and shop around you can probably find a newer or the same with less milage and not cost a lot of money. That's my advice. average person puts on there car milage is 15,000 to 20,000 a year but that's about for that but I just think that you shop around and see if you can find something better. you'll be thanking me in the long run if you look around.

Tom Servo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts