NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen a how-to video on how to remove the lower trunk lid trim on a 2006 - 2010 Beetle? If I go googling around, I find maybe 10 You-tube videos on how to do this procedure on a 98 to 2005, and many people seem to assume that it is the same on 2006 to 2010, because the actual third brake light assembly fits all these models, however, the differences begin in that in the 2006-2010, there is only one screw to remove, which when removed appears to make zero difference to the trim coming out.

Update... finally started to loosen the trim from the driver side where it meets the back window. the three center tabs all broke their heads (typical..anything plastic in these cars is absolute [email protected]). After loosening several tabs, I am down to the trunk latch, and then there is a hangup. There is a thick rubber band that holds a little cap that looks like there may be a windshield wiper liquid reservoir in certain cars there. My car did not come with a rear wiper, but it still has the stupid rubber band, and it needs to be removed in order to finally take off the lid trim (Scheisse !)

Finally at the Third Brake Light Assy. Remove three screws and it simply slips out like in the videos right ?...wrong ! you now get to gently pry the assy all around the edges, and by the time it comes out, red lens is now broken in three pieces. (Again, plastic and VW doesn't seem to work). I can finally check to see if it is a corrosion problem, or bad LEDs? Alas, in my case it is actually bad LEDs . I have some LED strips laying around, and I am debating whether to put one in there on top of the old LEDs, but the connectors have to be soldered, and it is a difficult place to solder...bummer ! I may just have to break down and pay PartsGeeks $52 for a new assy (Dorman). I have been using LEDs as a computer engineer since the early 70's . I don't really remember ever having had to replace a bad LED ( computers became obsolete way before that happened), but trust VW to use the type that do burn out, and cost $50 to $100 plus a lot of work to replace.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
You are not alone, from what I can tell; VW used the lights in a series type connection and so, one burns out, the circuit to the rest is killed. Not, a very good design but that seems to be how VW decided to do it. In my experience, the sun gets to these light assemblies and they become very fragile; the inner plastic bracket breaks or the red lens, comes unglued, falls off (typically lost when driving). You might want to stick with the oem vw light assembly; check the aftermarket Dorman third brake light reviews on amazon, some have complained of fitment issues. If you decide to go with the Dorman; please, report back with the quality and fitment. Dorman, seems to have a lifetime warranty on their products; so, if it does fail again, you maybe able to get a new one under warranty? Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts