4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Ugh. There are no words...
Got ad blocker on ;)

Theres a video too :p

Even though we live in a supersized world, bigger is not always better. One devoted White Castle customer is suing the restaurant chain because he can't fit into the restaurant's booths. Martin Kessman, who weighs 290 pounds, complained to management for more than two years after repeatedly knocking his knee into the tables' metal supports. After the 64-year-old New York stockbroker sent a series of letters of complaint to the chain, he received what he called condescending responses. White Castle sent him free hamburger coupons and promised that it would expand its booth sizes. But the booths were never changed and Kessman is now taking his case to federal court. He is suing for bigger chairs and unspecified damages because he says the eatery is violating the Americans with Disabilities Act. (He compares himself to pregnant women and the handicapped.) The lawsuit, however, has not put an end to Kessman's love of mini burgers. Now, instead of going to White Castle himself, he sends his wife.
If you looked at the sky last night you might have noticed things were a little brighter. People in the Northern Hemisphere got to marvel at this year's harvest moon. According to NASA, a harvest moon is a full moon that occurs when the angle between the moon's orbit and the earth's horizon is smallest, causing the moon to rise faster than normal. The harvest moon was named, before the use of electricity, for the special moon that gave farmers enough light to harvest their crops long after sunset. The harvest moon is so bright that stargazers can even see its craters without binoculars! Hundreds of people have uploaded pictures of the famous moon to Flickr and Twitter. Many also noted that this year the harvest moon fell on September 11. One person tweeted, "The cosmos gives 9-11 a beautiful tribute." Share your harvest moon pictures with us on Facebook and Twitter!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,967 Posts
How 'bout a judge saying "Get the f out of my courtroom, you pompous a$$hole!"?
I'm having a facebook moment because I want to "like" this so badly. Its just so utterly ridiculous. We sue for every little thing in this country and its sickening. After the police report went up, I got 15 pieces of mail in ONE DAY for law firms. 15! And I've gotten probably a good 10 more or so since then, not to mention the mail I've gotten from chiropractors and the like as well. Its all just disgusting.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
He is suing for bigger chairs and unspecified damages because he says the eatery is violating the Americans with Disabilities Act. (He compares himself to pregnant women and the handicapped.) The lawsuit, however, has not put an end to Kessman's love of mini burgers. Now, instead of going to White Castle himself, he sends his wife.
I do get his point about providing for pregnant women and the challenged, but unfortunately, building codes (ADA portion in this case) are never retro-active to existing building construction. I'm sure all of WC's new and remodel stores ARE in compliance, they will point this out and the suit will be thrown out of Federal Court.

And the part about him still "using" and sending his wife...
Poor woman!

M.

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
How 'bout a judge saying "Get the f out of my courtroom, you pompous a$$hole!"?
Nicely stated! Probably won't happen, but we can hope.

Most of the fast food places here have a few booths and bolted down tables with fixed swivel seats PLUS tables without fixed chairs so folks in wheelchairs or mobility scooters can pull right up to them. I'm guessing White Castle could make this suit go away by replacing a few booths with these tables.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nicely stated! Probably won't happen, but we can hope.
Well, it's going to Federal Court now, where the judges are appointed and not elected, and it's in NY, so go figyah'!

Most of the fast food places here have a few booths and bolted down tables with fixed swivel seats PLUS tables without fixed chairs so folks in wheelchairs or mobility scooters can pull right up to them. I'm guessing White Castle could make this suit go away by replacing a few booths with these tables.
That would have to take place in all their restuarants that aren't up to current ADA standards, and I'm sure that won't. It will happen as the individual stores go through their remodel cycle.

And I'm sure this will be thrown out by the Federal Courts. Consider the legal precedent. Every business, every retail estaiblishment, virtually every structure that is not a private residence, would have to retro fit the establishment to comply with current ADA standards, which would involve rebuilding probably 90% of all the non-residential structures throughout the US. Talk about job creation and economic stimulous!

M.

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
If it can be done, certain people will b*tch about anything. The restuarant should have told him to drop about 70lbs. and he would fit. The guy is 64 and will probably retire soon. His better option would be to eat somewhere else until he does. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yumm... Lunch...

I'm sure there are those who just don't understand the craving... (lol)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts