NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my beloved '98 water pumper is approaching 14 (in January) he has finally showed some minor age-related issues. So, how do I show him I still care? By dropping almost $3000.00 in repairs over the past 6 months. In fairness, the parts have not been particularly expensive, it's the labor:mad: - $120 per hour! It started with the AC/Heat control dial breaking and geting stuck on at full blast ($700). Then the heater cable broke ($700). I had to have the AC serviced, finally after 12 years, which led to a brake fluid change and an accesories belt replacement ($900). Then, while driving around Lake Tahoe with a bunch of air-cooled VWs, the car started to misfire and act fuel-starved. The result was a shot plug wire on cylinder number 2 (new wires and plugs) and repairs to the fuel evap system (shot purge valve and hose) for a total of $1000. Not to mention the embarassment of being the only water pumper in the group and the only one having problems:eek: It will be a while before I live that one down. See how much I love my Bug?

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
How many miles on your 98? I'm at 153K on mine and got mine with 92K 23 months ago. :p My buddy's 99 gasser just bit the dust with 298K. :( Keep that 98 going! There aren't too many of us left. :D

123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mileage-wise my car is still a spring chicken - just coming up on 92k. It's been a daily driver since day one but I don't live that far from work (4 miles one way). I'm petrified that in a another five years parts are going to become a problem.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Mileage-wise my car is still a spring chicken - just coming up on 92k. It's been a daily driver since day one but I don't live that far from work (4 miles one way). I'm petrified that in a another five years parts are going to become a problem.
:eek: That is super low mileage for a 98! :cool: Parts are stocked for over 5 years for sure and I think closer to 10 years. Plus, being on a Golf platform, there shouldn't be any problems finding parts for a long time. ;) My commute is close to 120 miles a day! :eek: We are on both extremes for commuting. :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,076 Posts
If I can still find parts for my '84 Jetta, the NB shouldn't be a problem in the future. Its on the Mk4 platform, tons of those still running around.

I'm at a little over 101k on my '99. Great cars, these older ones :)

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
The mantra is "It's cheaper than a new car... It's cheaper than a new car... It's cheaper than a new car..."
You got that right... and I only have to say that once to be convinced:lol:

123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh heavens no. I haven't taken my Bug to a dealer for repair since the dealership in my town closed down. I started taking him to an independent after that, and I thought they were doing a good job, but found out they weren't. So I changed to another one that specializes in European. Unfortunately any of the few decent ones in my area charge that kind of money now. The rest of the places are total hacks who I wouldn't trust to wash my car let alone work on it. However, I've goten friendly with a man who's been on the air cooled scene for many years and he said he could work on BLU F O for me and he's only charging $85 an hour, so I'll go that route next time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
parts are sometimes a pain in the butt to find...I called around for an oil cooler from my cousins shop...nobody had one. The local VW dealer had one...But I was going to have to wait 4 days. I was able to find the part in his junkyard on a Golf.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Don't forget to keep your timing belt serviced regularly. It's the silent killer, for Beetles. If that goes then you're looking at a lot of engine work or a new engine. Which would cost more than the current value of the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts