·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Owner: Sukhoidave.
Car: Wink, a 2000 New Beetle 1.8T
Miles: 72,000
Problems: None known or indicated.
Reason for Service: Preventative Maintenance.

We did the timing belt on Dave's car today and when we popped out the water pump were horrified to see this.....

People, change that belt and waterpump at 60,000 miles or you may not be as lucky as Dave. He was within a few short miles of having a total water pump failure and instead of looking at $350 in parts could have been looking at $3500+ :eek:

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Holy cow!, man what a lucky find, some months ago I put the newsouth power gasket on my bug and lo and bohold, there was a huge bolt inside the intake manifold !!! how it came to be there? nobody knows but it was stuck in the entrance to the 20V head, the bolt was in terrible shape so it had been thre for months...lucky as you today....

guess its another tale of the NB org "fearless modders" ;-)

·
Super Moderator
14,802 Posts
Tell Dave to run out and buy lottery tickets, stat! :jester:

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Pump

My question is this:
Where are the missing pieces of that pump?!!

p.s. My 2000 also experienced a pump failure prior to 60K.
The dealer blamed it on a faulty temp sensor -so this is a known VW issue.
So, get a replacement sensor when this is a DIY, and make the dealer pick up the tab if they do the work.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CA Solt said:
My question is this:
Where are the missing pieces of that pump?!!

p.s. My 2000 also experienced a pump failure prior to 60K.
The dealer blamed it on a faulty temp sensor -so this is a known VW issue.
So, get a replacement sensor when this is a DIY, and make the dealer pick up the tab if they do the work.

Thankfully all the pieces were trapped in the waterpump recess. None had yet traveled thru the system... like I said... Lucky lucky man. :)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Rodney's did that at 79k, he only made a slight noise....not a light, not stopped...just the ever so slight noise which I know means PANIC...and Kirby's was bad at about the same mileage too....

Could we get a sticky of the best places to buy these very necessary parts?

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Never mind 60000 MILES. Last Sunday, the water pump on my 2000 2.0 GLS went while I was cruising around 130km/h. The car had 70000 KILOMETRES on it. In miles this is...I dunno..a lot less than 60000. Luckily for me, I have aftermarket gauges and saw the temp climbing. However, by the time I managed to safely move from the passing lane to the shoulder, I hit 260 on my guage and the red light/buzzer started sounding on the dash. Anyway, replaced timing belt, tensioner thing, serpentine belt and put in a water pump with a steel impeller.

Just as an aside, the local dealer tells me that the newer water pumps they have in stock, while still having plastic impellers, have been redesigned....supposedly problem is fixed, but I still like my metal impeller. The parts guy says the only difference he can see is that some spring that was exposed at the base of the impeller has now been moved into the body of the pump or removed entirely...

·
big poster turned lurker.
2003 Turbo S
9,499 Posts
I'm already on my 3rd factory water pump (forst one was covered by insurance in my accident and the 2nd one was coverd under parts warrany, 11 months later). WHen i get my timing belt changed (hopefully very soon) I am definately gettin a metal impeller pump.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Well, I lost the pump on my '03 at 24K miles. Temp light and buzzer would come on intermittently, then turn off. Took it in, and they said the sensor was ok, so they went after the pump and evidently it was severed from the shaft as we've seen in others' posts. :(

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Water pump/timing belt service

I have 63,380 miles on my 99 1.8 turbo. This year model came with the 10 year, 100,000 miles power train warranty that covers the water pump and timing belt and associated items that VW recommends to be replaced. This warranty covers any and all associated damage done to the engine as well. I have had every scheduled maintenance done every 20,000 miles which included visual inspection of the timing belt for cracks, dryness, and missing or worn down gogs on the belt itself. Since a new belt, water pump and associated parts that should be replaced at that time is now about a $850.00+ job if done myself without any warranty help, I will wait and see how things look at the next inspection at 80,000 miles. Having changed the coolant @ about 59,000 miles, this may help keep the pump properly lubricated with fresher VW G-12 coolant mix and could contribute to the longevity of my impellar blades. If and when this pump is replaced, I will definatly use a metal impellar design. What are current scources for these after market up graded pumps?? Thanks, JK

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John Koch said:
I have 63,380 miles on my 99 1.8 turbo. This year model came with the 10 year, 100,000 miles power train warranty that covers the water pump and timing belt and associated items that VW recommends to be replaced. This warranty covers any and all associated damage done to the engine as well. I have had every scheduled maintenance done every 20,000 miles which included visual inspection of the timing belt for cracks, dryness, and missing or worn down gogs on the belt itself. Since a new belt, water pump and associated parts that should be replaced at that time is now about a $850.00+ job if done myself without any warranty help, I will wait and see how things look at the next inspection at 80,000 miles. Having changed the coolant @ about 59,000 miles, this may help keep the pump properly lubricated with fresher VW G-12 coolant mix and could contribute to the longevity of my impellar blades. If and when this pump is replaced, I will definatly use a metal impellar design. What are current scources for these after market up graded pumps?? Thanks, JK
MY2000 also came with that 10yr/100,000 mile warranty but since I bought mine used its only 5yr/50,000 miles which for me is now gone, even though I have 37,400 miles on the clock.

www.ecstuning.com sells a very nice kit using all german parts that are OEM or better quality including an all metal waterpump. The kit is about $350. It took 3 novices (that had never done a timing belt) 10 hours to do this job. I gave them some verbal guidance now and then but overall they used the bently, common sense, and basic tools to get the job done.

This is definetly something that can be done at home in a weekend by a semi skilled, shade tree mechanic. :bigthumb:

Tom aka Fowvay

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
my car

I'm not totally convinced that the impeller didn't break when we pulled it out. We pried and pried and could have broken it as it came out. We thought we could see where it had wear marks on it but when I piece it back together in good light I'm not seeing that. Either way I am very glad to have the job done. I still find myself looking down and noticing 70K+ miles and thinking OMG but then realize I'm good to go for another 70K. :D

It was a tough job, three of us worked hard at it for at least ten hours and Don and I were there for a solid 12 to finish it up.

I am no kind of mechanic, it was great to have people there that can say, "gimme a 10 mm socket" with just a glance. Even with some good help we had figuring and reworking of steps to do and some snafu's with the coolant refilling.

It's a do-able job, but not one to take lightly. I am so lucky to have such great friends that devoted their weekend time to helping me out. Those kind of people are far between. True top shelf friends!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hi,

I just wanted to say I had the timming belt, water pump, tensioner and Belt onside of motor changed today, at the vw shop. My New beetle has 62,628 miles on it. I Ask to see the old water pump to see what it looked like, and it was broken and cracked some, I am so glad I Had this done.

I just wanted to share this with everyone, it was worth the cost.

Thanks,

John K.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Fowvay said:
FWIW I plan on having this done this coming summer. I will most likely only have 38,000-40,000 miles on Pomelo at that time but I will feel much safer about her health in general. :)
lemme know when and where my friend. Ill be there.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,261 Posts
kauffman64 said:
Hi,

I just wanted to say I had the timming belt, water pump, tensioner and Belt onside of motor changed today, at the vw shop. My New beetle has 62,628 miles on it. I Ask to see the old water pump to see what it looked like, and it was broken and cracked some, I am so glad I Had this done.

I just wanted to share this with everyone, it was worth the cost.

Thanks,

John K.
How much did that cost you? I'm looking at probably 60,000 miles when I head home for winter break so I'm probably going to get that done then...just want to know how much I need to save up for it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts