1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hard drive- 700 mb
cpu is pentium 90
has a floppy drive and 16mb worth of memory

would that notebook work for running vag com or do i need something with a little bit more to it than that? let me know asap and thanks in advance

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FineExampl said:
Justin would know the answer to this methinks. He checked me out Saturday off a laptop.

16mb ran?? pentium 90? where'd you dig up that fossil?? :lol:
i work at Executive Personal Computers..we are the largest used computer center in the midwest

we have stuff older than that as well...this notebook would be $5-10 for me so i figured i should ask about it and see...found a decent p3 for ~100 but if i can get something that would work for under $50 then dangit im gonna :D

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
It will work. More RAM would be good though. I'm running it on a PII 266 with 96MB under Win98 and it's fine. It will work with 16MB, but that's not a lot of RAM at all ... that is my only concern with the setup. Also, the ROSSTECH cables have the reg codes in them, so no software registration is required. The non-ROSSTECH cables, like my $30-$40 one from ebay, work but need $99 software registration. Also, the newer cables are CAN-ready, I believe, from ROSS TECH.. that'll work on the I5 models (from what I can see all I5 cars are CAN based connection, regardless of model). For the record, older non-CAN cables are capable of damaging the components in a CAN-based car. My VAG-COM cable will NOT work in our 2005 Jetta V, but will work on the older Jetta IV 2005, or any 2005-earlier 2.0/1.8/TDI.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kcfoxie said:
It will work. More RAM would be good though. I'm running it on a PII 266 with 96MB under Win98 and it's fine. It will work with 16MB, but that's not a lot of RAM at all ... that is my only concern with the setup. Also, the ROSSTECH cables have the reg codes in them, so no software registration is required. The non-ROSSTECH cables, like my $30-$40 one from ebay, work but need $99 software registration. Also, the newer cables are CAN-ready, I believe, from ROSS TECH.. that'll work on the I5 models (from what I can see all I5 cars are CAN based connection, regardless of model). For the record, older non-CAN cables are capable of damaging the components in a CAN-based car. My VAG-COM cable will NOT work in our 2005 Jetta V, but will work on the older Jetta IV 2005, or any 2005-earlier 2.0/1.8/TDI.
so try and get something a little better? and i need to find rosstech cables when i go to actually buy the stuff? is there a good place that has everything i need all ready to roll?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
jazzcat said:
so try and get something a little better? and i need to find rosstech cables when i go to actually buy the stuff? is there a good place that has everything i need all ready to roll?
Rosstech sells the cables on their website. If you're planning to work on a 98-05 model NB only, you can save some $ by getting the cable on ebay and registering the software ($99). The laptop would be fine speed wise and hard disk wise so long as it had, say, 64MB RAM or there about. I would *think* a RAM upgrade would be cheaper and more cost effective than buying another notebook (unless you can find something with 64+ MB RAM for under $100).

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kcfoxie said:
Rosstech sells the cables on their website. If you're planning to work on a 98-05 model NB only, you can save some $ by getting the cable on ebay and registering the software ($99). The laptop would be fine speed wise and hard disk wise so long as it had, say, 64MB RAM or there about. I would *think* a RAM upgrade would be cheaper and more cost effective than buying another notebook (unless you can find something with 64+ MB RAM for under $100).
i can find a decent p3 for ~100 which is probably what i will end up doing...ill check out rosstech

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
and do you have harddrives for older toshiba satellite laptop models (p2 166mhz type)

I have one that needs a hard disk and a power cord. any help?

oh ya, yes yourthe original one posted above will work, but logging multiple measuring blocks will be kindof slow.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kcfoxie said:
Where do you shop??
my place of employment :D

www.pconramp.com is a selection of stuff that we offer..there is alot more and i pay alot less for the stuff on that site

decided against the notebook...ill pick up vag com after i get out to school if i have the fundage for it

·
Old Skool .org Member
58 Posts
I ran Vag-Com on an old-school Dell Pentium 90 with a 400Meg Hard drive with 8meg of ram... It ran just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts