NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mileage is getting pretty high and my NB is starting to show some wear and tear. It's time to get the timing belt changed out and I went to the dealer the other day to get a price - $1100. The good thing is that it will be done in a day, but I forgot to ask will they install a water pump with the steel impeller. Does anyone know of any good shops in Illinois that does good work? I just want to do some price/parts/time to completion comparisons.

Second question is, has anyone done a transmission swap, 5 to 6spd? Just curious.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
IgottaBug! said:
My mileage is getting pretty high and my NB is starting to show some wear and tear. It's time to get the timing belt changed out and I went to the dealer the other day to get a price - $1100. The good thing is that it will be done in a day, but I forgot to ask will they install a water pump with the steel impeller. Does anyone know of any good shops in Illinois that does good work? I just want to do some price/parts/time to completion comparisons.

Second question is, has anyone done a transmission swap, 5 to 6spd? Just curious.
$1100 seems kinda high. i would get a 2nd opinion if i were you. i just got the timing belt, tensioner roller, water pump, thermostat done for about $650 at my local mechanic. i bought my own parts at ecstuning.com (as do a lot of members here) and am sure i saved myself a bundle. the parts were about $190, with shipping. ecstuning.com offers a nice kit for this maintenance:

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=2.0&model=New Beetle&submodel=&category=Engine&subcategory=Timing

as for places in illinois, sorry! i live in iowa, which is about as close to another orger as you're going to get. good luck and keep us posted. ;)

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know about ECS. I've ordered from them before, and have taken a look at the parts that I need for the repairs that I need. Actually the $1100 quote included the 80,000 mile service, which is about $400-450. I guess I was in shock when I originally wrote this thread.:D I do plan on getting the kit from ECS though. I just have to find a shop other than the dealership to compare the two. Thanks for the help.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Have them give you in writing what they do for the 80K service... b/c I guarantee it isn't worth $450 ;)

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great idea Porkchop! My wallet is kind of thin right now, and I've been thinking of ways to come up with the money instead. Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know how long the parts from ecstuning are under warrantee for? I was going to buy the timing belt kit from ecstuning, but several mechanics said the parts would not be under warrantee, whereas if I bought from the mechanic, I would get a 12 month warrantee on parts and labor. The price for parts is almost the same, so would I be better off just buying the parts from the mechanic? They said the water pump they'd install does have a metal impellar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts