NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well friend of mine has a 97 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder...well it needed 3 engine mounts. any other day it would be an easy fix. this car nope
for one ...the right (main) engine mount bracket....apparently the previous owner broke the mount....its supposed to have 2 studs that the mount slips on...well they broke i guess....and did a cheap thread tap to the holes...needless to say 2 bolts snapped and the third hole broke, instead of an inch hole its less then 1/4 inch in thinkness.
now the kicker the mount bracket CANT BE BOUGHT....no one sells it. not even the dealer. and to even replace it the timing belt needs to be removed (plus everything else in the way)
also he told me the a.c. quit working a few months back...well when that front mount went it dropped the motor...which cause the a.c pully to jam into the body..(seriously did he not hear the belt squealing?)so thats damaged.
so since we cant get a replacement part (no pick and pull had a turbo or a nearby junkyard) the normal engine has a different bracket.
i told him i recommend he sell it (he doesnt have the money to even fix it as of now)
so this has been my day :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
circeseye

Wish I had a buddy like you that would roll in jump both feet into a mess like that for me! :toast:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
circeseye

Wish I had a buddy like you that would roll in jump both feet into a mess like that for me! :toast:
thanks :)i actually enjoy doing it..sucks being medically retired i get bored with nothing to do lol
yea it was bad...turned out every motor mount was shot all because of the main being what it was and the engine was sitting on the frame braces everywhere (basically thats what was holding the engine lol)....so had him get new mounts anyways got the motor raised and replaced the mounts..but the front in only held on mainly one bolt with stripped out threads (i couldnt even rethread it it was so bad)
i told him to just take it to like car max and just trade it in....at least a dealer would just auction it or send it to a wrecker and not pass it along to some random buyer on craigslist...( i didnt trust him to tell anyone looking at it what is wrong and end up just like he did when he bought it)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I’m not sure what engine is involved, but rock auto seems to have a front right, front left and a rear listed for that car.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mitsubishi,1997,eclipse,2.0l+l4+turbocharged,1205873,engine,motor+mount,5552

Of course a motor mount won’t do you any good if it can’t be attached to the frame, if that is the problem.

There are something called time serts that offer a permanent repair to stripped and broken fasteners. They’re a little pricy but once installed you’re good to go. They’re available on eBay , amazon and other places.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not sure what engine is involved, but rock auto seems to have a front right, front left and a rear listed for that car.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mitsubishi,1997,eclipse,2.0l+l4+turbocharged,1205873,engine,motor+mount,5552

Of course a motor mount won’t do you any good if it can’t be attached to the frame, if that is the problem.

There are something called time serts that offer a permanent repair to stripped and broken fasteners. They’re a little pricy but once installed you’re good to go. They’re available on eBay , amazon and other places.
no not the motor mount....there is a motor mount bracket that the right (main)motor mount attaches to thats on the engine
this... but slightly different cause of the engine being a turbo
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/450430400218366915/
we even called the dealer and they didnt carry it and only one (scetchy)website had it listed but out of stock
but thankfully he didnt go and sucker some random into buying it...he took it to car max and traded it in

1 - 5 of 5 Posts