VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting one with 82K miles on it. Very clean, nice condition, drives nice although it seems like the 6-speed automatic transmission shifts quickly without letting rpm get too high (perhaps that's the point). Anyway, lots of negative stuff out there about beetles in general and especially the automatics. Just wondering if it's worth it since this would be a second car, just for fun and going to the beach.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
If it isn't shifting correctly; assume, it needs a valve body at the minimum, possibly a whole trans or rebuild. A new or rebuilt transmission; installed or repaired, could possibly cost more than the car is worth!? What are they asking for it? If the transmission is suspect; I would pass. If you are ok with driving a stick shift; I would look for a New Beetle with a stick, they last longer and aside from clutch replacements, are more durable.

If you are hell bent on buying this particular car; take it to a professional shop that specializes in Volkswagens for a complete top to bottom inspection. The last thing you want to do; is buy something that has a major problem and be stuck with a car, that costs more to repair than it is worth.

Keep in mind; this is NOT the only New Beetle out there, it is time that many people are getting rid of these cars and they are really getting down in their value. There are MANY fish in the sea; keep your eyes open and find a solid car, that doesn't have major problems that can cost thousands to repair! :) Just assume; that you are going to spend a couple of thousand dollars on a older car to get it in top daily driver condition or spend a little more, find a car that was really taken car of and doesn't need anything (all older cars are going to need some reconditioning; just assume you are going to spend some money on it). There are nice cars out there; you just need to be patient and look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Billymade! I don't have my heart set on it but it did drive nicely and was very clean. Most Bugs for sale in my area are automatics, so although I want a manual transmission, I figured it didn't matter. Now I will definitely hold out for manual. I don't think there was anything wrong with the 2005 but that doesn't mean there won't be later on. Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts