VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all- 03 NB 1.8T, The old girl has lots of miles on her, we've only had her about 6 months now. I've heard people talk about using Seafoam. I'm not really sure what Seafoam does, or if I should use it. What does it do? Should I give it a try or is it just Snake Oil? Thanks!! Dave

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
here we go again

ohh , here we go again. I used it and it seems to have cleaned up the intake off carbon buildup. There is a very cool utube video on how to use it for the VW 1.8t engine. Just remove the 3/8 hose going to the throttle valve and hookup the clear poly-tubbing, let the system suck up the seafoam a little at a time by using a tapered end, it's explained on the video. Then just go for a hard run to flush out the carbons. good luck

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seafoam

esse-I'll check out that video, thanks. Sounds like you've had success with Seafoam. You used it as a fuel system additive, is it ever added to engine oil? Dave

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I was wary too. My ex-husband swore by it, and bought me a can.

I used it (poured it into my full fuel tank), and it worked. It is worth a try! :)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
fuel

esse-I'll check out that video, thanks. Sounds like you've had success with Seafoam. You used it as a fuel system additive, is it ever added to engine oil? Dave
I did add it to my fuel once but didn't see much difference there it's suppose to clean up the fuel injectors and lines. You can also add it to your oil to clean up the sludge, I never did though. I have no sludge problem yet after 205k miles.(fingers crossed) LOL:p

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seafoam

No real issues, she seems to run fine. Since September when we bought it, we've been running the 100% gasoline 91 octane. But I figured with 200k it could probably use some internal cleaning.

Sludge? How do I know if I have sludge? The old 5 cylinder Volvos (like I used to have) were known for accumulating "sludge" if the PCV system was never serviced. Does a non serviced PCV system play a role in buildup of sludge in these Beetles? Dave

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
No real issues, she seems to run fine. Since September when we bought it, we've been running the 100% gasoline 91 octane. But I figured with 200k it could probably use some internal cleaning.

Sludge? How do I know if I have sludge? The old 5 cylinder Volvos (like I used to have) were known for accumulating "sludge" if the PCV system was never serviced. Does a non serviced PCV system play a role in buildup of sludge in these Beetles? Dave
Yes, so does engine coolant temperature, the way the vehicle is used and the oil used along with where the vehicle is located.

Where has the vehicle primarily been driven? State and city?

Are you the original owner?

What type of oil do you use and how often is it changed?

Does the engine have the original thermostat?

Have you every monitored the engine temperature, if so, what is it typically?

Inspecting inside the oil fill is the quickest way to get an idea, but it can be tricky to understand what you are looking at.

ALL 1.8t will have the large 90 degree crankcase breather adapter cracked and needing to be replaced along with the PCV valve and the T hose the valve is located in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seafoam

Well we have only owned the car since Sept. 2015, so no I'm not the original owner, and I've only done 1 oil change on it. PO said she used Mobil 1, that's what I used when I changed it. We are in Syracuse, NY with salty winters. Never monitored engine temps (on this or any of the 12 vehicles I have owned

No idea on thermostat replacement, but I'm up to my elbows in Beetle currently (timing belt) so I could probably put one in. PCV replacement, dont know about that either. On my Volvo it was a pretty major job, what's it like on these Beetles?

Repairs never seem to end, do they? Dave

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Thermostat and housing NEED to be replaced on this car.

PCV NEEDS to me addressed. If you can do the timing belt, these are relatively easy.

You WILL need to remove the air pump, but it does not need to be removed from the engine bay.

Search YouTube for DIY's. I will see if I can get a picture of what the 90 degree crankcase breather that cracks looks like.

You NEED to get the OBDFusion App and interface so you can manage your cars, monitor the engine temp. Less than $30 for the App and interface.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
seafoam and such

Well I'm almost wrapped on the timing belt project, thought before I refill with (the correct) antifreeze, I'd change out the thermostat as recommended. Looks pretty straightforward.

Also started looking into PCV service. Does a typical PCV service just involve replacing the valve and cleaning out any buildup inside the various hoses? Again, doesnt look difficult as long as I mark where everything goes. Maybe after the PCV service would be a good time to try the Seafoam (the original topic here).

If I ever tackle another timing belt replacement, I'll be faster since I now I have done one.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
pcv

Well I'm almost wrapped on the timing belt project, thought before I refill with (the correct) antifreeze, I'd change out the thermostat as recommended. Looks pretty straightforward.

Also started looking into PCV service. Does a typical PCV service just involve replacing the valve and cleaning out any buildup inside the various hoses? Again, doesnt look difficult as long as I mark where everything goes. Maybe after the PCV service would be a good time to try the Seafoam (the original topic here).

If I ever tackle another timing belt replacement, I'll be faster since I now I have done one.
The PCV valve is very simple the hardest part is getting to it.
You have to remove the SAI pump out of the way. I would just clean it with a plastic safe cleaner or you can replace I believe they're only 8-10 bucks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
seafoam etc

Well I changed out the thermostat last night. Got the old one out and the new one in without moving a bunch of other stuff out of the way. Wow was that a tight fit! The bottom bolt- I placed in hole with the magnet probe and inserted a small, long flatblade screwdriver in the allen hole and gently turned it enough to get a few threads to engage. Then I snaked my hand in there (ouch) and turned it by hand several times before I got out the 10mm. A short extension, going almost horizontally worked for me on the bottom one.

As far as PCV system, are those items in front (As sitting in car)of the engine? crankcase 90 behind engine? Havent found much reference on 1.8 PCV service. Any links you all know of? Dave

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pct cleanup

Ok, I see where everything is now. I also noticed that the air pump (that is held on with 3 rubber mounts) is currently only attached with 1 rubber mount as 2 have broken. Think I'll be making a run to my VW dealer next week for 3 fresh mounts.

I removed that air pump (well moved it out of the way actually) and now can see all of the pcv hoses. They all have those factory crimped clamps so I'm guessing it's never been touched before. PCV valve $10 plus new clamps (I like using those fuel injection clamps instead of home depot clamps). Seems that unless there is a broken hose, I could just clean any buildup of gunk out of the hoses and put it back together. Is there an O ring down at the crankcase?

What about the hockey puck thing that sits up higher, closer to the windshield? (accumulator I think it's called) should I go that far upstream? It's dirty on the outside, but would rather not mess with it if I don't have to.

Thanks again! Yours-with-skinned-knuckles truly, Dave

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Ok, I see where everything is now. I also noticed that the air pump (that is held on with 3 rubber mounts) is currently only attached with 1 rubber mount as 2 have broken. Think I'll be making a run to my VW dealer next week for 3 fresh mounts.

I removed that air pump (well moved it out of the way actually) and now can see all of the pcv hoses. They all have those factory crimped clamps so I'm guessing it's never been touched before. PCV valve $10 plus new clamps (I like using those fuel injection clamps instead of home depot clamps). Seems that unless there is a broken hose, I could just clean any buildup of gunk out of the hoses and put it back together. Is there an O ring down at the crankcase?

What about the hockey puck thing that sits up higher, closer to the windshield? (accumulator I think it's called) should I go that far upstream? It's dirty on the outside, but would rather not mess with it if I don't have to.

Thanks again! Yours-with-skinned-knuckles truly, Dave
DO NOT buy the air pump mounts from the dealer, WAY too expensive.

Less than $12 from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLG0AQM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dealer will probably be $12 each!!!

You NEED to replace the rubber "T" the PCV valve is mounted in AND the larger 90 degree crankcase adapter as it will have a long vertical crack in it.

Do all of this while the air pump is out of the way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
mounts

Wow, cool. I went to amazon and there were those pump mounts. added them to my cart.

PCV valve I can get at my local NAPA I figure, what about those hoses- are those dealer items? It's a 2 hour lunch trip to hit my closest dealer. Kinda a pain, I doubt NAPA would have those hoses...

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
To start; you might look up the hoses you need in VW's online parts catalog and identify the part number or look at the part number on your old hoses.

Shop Volkswagen Parts and Accessories

The hoses from VW; are pretty expensive, the aftermarket is making them and they are substantially cheaper. The quality on the chinese stuff; is questionable of how long it will last but the price is lower.

Here are some examples of hoses available (vw, aftermarket and silicone upgraded); you can see the price difference between vw and aftermarket:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--1.8T/Engine/Emissions/PCV/

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...keywords=vw+new+beetle+1.8T+breather+hose+kit

vw new beetle 1.8T breather hose kit | eBay

If you wanted to step up a bit in quality; Gates is starting to make these types of hoses as well and the last cooling hose I bought were made in usa. You can look up the hoses here: (I got mine from O'Reilly's and they came the next day; from their warehouse):

NaviGates

So far; it looks like they do not make all the hoses needed but they do make two:

Air Intake & Emission Control Hose

Emission Hose - Intake To Suction Pump Emission Control Hose EMH195

Emission Hose - Oil Separator To PCV Valve Emission Control Hose EMH219

1 - 20 of 31 Posts