NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been reading over some of the posts from people here about their throttle bodies, and it hasn't helped at all.

I have a 2003 Beetle GLS 2.0L, and my current issue is a high idle.

For a few months now I've been battling with my car and it's ability to run. Over a year ago I had to have it seriously fixed. My coolant hose popped off, and caused my engine to overheat, blow a head gasket, melt a lot of things in the engine, and completely destroy my water pump. 4 weeks and $2100 later I had a car that ran like new. This lasted about 5 months, when my check engine light popped on, nothing happening, it just popped on, and then turned off a few days later. This continued happening, so I made sure to get my oil changed as much as I was supposed to.

Fast forward to June, my check engine light is on, and on pops the EPC light, slowing down my acceleration, and engine capability. A week later the high idle starts. I took it into the shop the did all the original repairs, hoping it was something that was covered under my warranty. They quote me $2000 for the replacement MAS, the throttle body cleaning and reprogramming, and replacement of the catalytic converter. Knowing they were out for my money, I ran to Pep Boys. I had a friend replace the MAS, which I bought myself and Pep Boys told me that the throttle body only needed to have the sensors balanced.

Whatever they did worked for a couple weeks, and then I started having the same problems, high idle, check engine light, and EPC popping on, and occasionally making me stall out. I then took it to a German Auto Shop, to have the throttle body cleaned out and reprogrammed. He told me that if the problem arose again, though I would need to replace it.

So here I am barely two weeks later after spending another $150 wasted, check engine light and high idle.

In anyone's opinion on here, is there something I'm missing in connection to the throttle body? Does it sound like something could be faulty leading up to it? I need some advice!

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
If the check engine is on get it scanned and find out what the codes are and what they mean.

You sound like you're chasing your tail on this one and need to find out exactly what's going on.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
x2. The CEL has a reason for being on and those reasons are found by looking at the codes. If you don't fix the problem, the light will come back on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts