NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After letting it sit for a few years, I'm ready to get the beetle running again. I ran vag-com and found:
2 Faults Found:

01165 - Throttle Body Control Module (J338)

55-00 - Adaptation Not Successful

17951 - Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187): Signal too Small

P1543 - 35-00 - -

This is with a new throttle body to boot. The contacts were cleaned before installing. To the root of the problem, the codes don't stay cleared, thus I cannot adapt the throttle body. I'm thinking that the wiring harness for the throttle body may be bad or need a new connector. I'd appreciate any wisdom the community could pass my way.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Car sat for a long time, likely you had rodents nest under the cowl and possibly chew on the ECU wiring?

Also does the throttle move at all?

If the O2 sensor heater wiring was shorted, it can cause damage to the throttle body grounding in the ECU, bad design, but can be worked around most of the time.

Search YouTube on cabin air filter replacement, ECU is on the driver side under the dash and access panels.

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Have you tried clearing the ecm; by removing the pos/neg battery cables and touching them together for 30 seconds? Sometimes, I have had luck by doing this technique; on certain parts I have replaced (with new) but the same old error code from the bad old parts, remains. This worked on a 02 sensor; that I replaced, it was the only way, to remove the error codes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the ecu, kind of doubt that something got chewed up since it's giving me the same problem it did before I parked it. Throttle does move, but I can't clear the codes to do the adaptation.
I will also try the battery cable trick.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
40 Posts
Car sat for a long time, likely you had rodents nest under the cowl and possibly chew on the ECU wiring?

Also does the throttle move at all?

If the O2 sensor heater wiring was shorted, it can cause damage to the throttle body grounding in the ECU, bad design, but can be worked around most of the time. /QUOTE]

I have this problem, DTC P0141 , P0140 and now P1543 which is the throttle body adaptation error. Had the heater circut io-op for cpl of weeks just replaced after the short circut error came up. Wires were bare where they enter the sensor.

Can you explain what you mean " can be worked around most of the time."?

Trying right now to borrow a VAG-COM locally to do the TBA, Car was running but now wont start at all. This is right after doing the heater core replacement, had the batt disconnected for a cpl of days.

NJbob...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts