NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the throttle body on the 1.8 turbo engine? Anyone have a picture? How can I clean this part?

·
cwgrlinaveedub
70 Posts
I tried to send you a message but it says your inbox is full and you need to clear it but here is the message...

um,its kinda hard to explain.. but when you take the engine cover off and you see the manifold close to the front of the engine compartment, look to the left. There is a funky looking part that is attached to the manifold. (PLEASE DO THIS WHILE THE CAR IS COLD.. IT DOES GET HOT) youre going to need an allen wrench there are 4 allen screws and the bottom one is a pain.. disconnect the ECU harness on the underside, its just a clip plug. Unclamp the big fat hose with a flathead screwdriver, and then the other hose with pliers, when you get it off, you will see the butterfly valve inside, if its totally black and sticky with "gunk" then you need cleaning.. obviously. You will need a can of throttle body cleaner. NAPA AUTO PARTS or O'reilly's should have it. Get a rag and spray it and make it sliver again, double check your gasket and make sure its not messed up, if so, a trip to the dealership maybe needed but you should be ok, when re-assembling, screw in allen screws and then plug and then hoses. Good luck. Ive had more than enough TB problems to have this down to an art. If it doesnt work... then come find me on facebook and between me and my best friend "oh randi" on the org, we can figure out. Dionne Burke | Facebook
Please, let me know if this works.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to send you a message but it says your inbox is full and you need to clear it but here is the message...

um,its kinda hard to explain.. but when you take the engine cover off and you see the manifold close to the front of the engine compartment, look to the left. There is a funky looking part that is attached to the manifold. (PLEASE DO THIS WHILE THE CAR IS COLD.. IT DOES GET HOT) youre going to need an allen wrench there are 4 allen screws and the bottom one is a pain.. disconnect the ECU harness on the underside, its just a clip plug. Unclamp the big fat hose with a flathead screwdriver, and then the other hose with pliers, when you get it off, you will see the butterfly valve inside, if its totally black and sticky with "gunk" then you need cleaning.. obviously. You will need a can of throttle body cleaner. NAPA AUTO PARTS or O'reilly's should have it. Get a rag and spray it and make it sliver again, double check your gasket and make sure its not messed up, if so, a trip to the dealership maybe needed but you should be ok, when re-assembling, screw in allen screws and then plug and then hoses. Good luck. Ive had more than enough TB problems to have this down to an art. If it doesnt work... then come find me on facebook and between me and my best friend "oh randi" on the org, we can figure out. Dionne Burke | Facebook
Please, let me know if this works.
Thanks for the timely reply. I thought that was the location but I saw a picture of the 2.0 and it's near the firewall. Are you using the rag to wipe the parts clean or spraying the insides the cleaning with the rag?

oh,messages are now working!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the info. I cleaned the throttle body on the car and it is working fine. I am really surprised that a dirty throttle body caused the car to throw multiple codes and eventually go into limp mode. The EPC light also came on. Anyway, just cleaning the throttle body and the car is running great with full power again.

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
I've done this to two different 1.8T's; the difference was night and day.... amazing (one jetta had over 100k, one beetle over 70k)! Not hard and doesn't take long... in my case it ran like the day it was new again! Recommended to everyone; do it, you won't be disappointed... inexpensive and easy! :)

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
Just cleaned mine today. Takes a little time, but it's not difficult. Seems to have better throttle response, and idles smoother. Amazing what a few paper towels, cotton swabs, and printer paper can do.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts