NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2000 beetle with a 2.0ltr and auto w/cruise. The car has about 45000 miles on it.

Last summer during the hot stretch (98F+) the AC and cruise shut off while on the freeway at 65mph.

No codes, and the problem goes away by restarting the engine.

The AC never cuts off unless the cruise is on.

I cannot make the problem recur, but it does every so often under similar conditions (high air temp, AC, cruise, freeway).

Since then it also has a recurring bank 1 rich code and check engine light. This code resets on its own or I clear it.

Aside from that, the car drives well. Is this an indication that the throttle body is failing?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the TPS. Once repaired, you have to have the throttle body adaptation done with a Vag-com.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. Last suumer I had the battery replaced at the dealership, and when they cut power the radio died as well. They would have had to reset the security codes when they replaced it and probably should have adapted the throttle and TCM. I guess they missed a few steps. Not this time...

I'll let you know the results.

Thanks so much!

Eric

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it back to the dealer today for service. They checked it out and there were no stored codes so they were wanting to just give me the car back. I told them to treat it as if they had just replaced the TACM, ECU, and transmission control unit, and just reset everything.

It drives like a new car now.

Thanks again,

Eric

·
Registered
512 Posts
I guess(guess only) the A/C cutoff might be caused by overheating. Try to connect to a laptop and monitor the coolant temp. A radiator fan which is not properly working might cause this problem.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
When a/c is on the fans should both run at low speed continously, check for them both working.

After that you may need an a/c pressure check to diagnose, or you may have a failing a/c pressure switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts