NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will start by stating I am used to the original VW Bugs - 60's. And sorry for the long post.

My girlfriend owns a 2002 New Beetle with a 2.0 and Manual transmission.

Her latest issue (with the car at least :))
She is driving at a steady speed down the freeway, NOT in cruise control, and all of a sudden the car looses power and decelerates. She states that she then pressed on the gas pedal harder and that the pedal had little to no feedback (no resistance and went to the floorboard almost). She coasted over to the slow lane, the motor didn't cut out it just had no response to the gas pedal. Once in the slow lane she was at approximately 40mph then the gas pedal "came back". This happended 3-4 times on her 20 mile commute (40 minute) home. She said she had a similar situation a couple months back.

My first thought was some binding in the throttle cable / linkage. I opened the hood and removed the plastic engine cover and looked for the linkage...I wasn't able to locate it immediately (I am used to working on rear wheel drive vehicles where the motor is turned 90 degrees)

Anyhow, I couldn't locate the throttle cable, does the 2002 NB have a throttle cable or is it all electronic?

I did some searching on this site as well as a internet search engine, though the only throttle related issues I could find were dirty throttle bodies. I currently don't feel that a dirtly throttle body would cause a loose gas pedal and intermittent throttle response.

Any ideas of the issue?

Thanks in advance, Wayne

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Yup, these cars are drive by wire. My first thought is the dreaded coil packs. Was it wet or rainy at all? They will misfire if damp. The coil packs are a known issue and are under recall now. Sorry, that's all I got. I would get it scanned and see if it throws any codes. Autozone is your friend with a scanner. They do it for free and give you the bad codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, these cars are drive by wire. My first thought is the dreaded coil packs. Was it wet or rainy at all? They will misfire if damp. The coil packs are a known issue and are under recall now. Sorry, that's all I got. I would get it scanned and see if it throws any codes. Autozone is your friend with a scanner. They do it for free and give you the bad codes.
It was a clear dry day and I scanned it however no codes appeared. What confuses me is that she stated the gas pedal felt "loose" when the issue arised. I will take the car for a spin this weekend to see if I can duplicate the issue.

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts