NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i started the car and the throttle didn't work. I checked the code and it said that the accelerator position sensors input was too high. I looked up the code and it said that if there was a problem with the oxygen sensor circuit, that could cause it. I checked the o2 sensor, and the wires had been chewed through by some rodent. I fixed that, but the accelerator still does not work. I am at a total loss as to what to do next, as electrical systems have never been my forte. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get, because this car is m y daily driver.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Have you disconnected the battery and reconnected it? That might help!

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will try it tomorrow. i cleared all the codes after i fixed the o2 wires, so thats almost the same thing. battery disconnects have done miracles before though

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
O2 sensor problem/wiring should have no impact on the accelerator not working.

If you had rodent damage, assuming it is also recent, I would be concerned the same rodent likely damaged wiring to the throttle body and/or under the cowl area where the ECU is located.

Would not be the first time I have seen rodents chewing on wires and causing havoc. The worst was mice that got into the car, and under the console in a car and chewed on the airbag wiring!

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O2 sensor problem/wiring should have no impact on the accelerator not working.
Accelerator Position Sensor faults can be caused by issues with the Oxygen Sensor(s) and it's wiring. Please verify this BEFORE replacing the ECM or Accelerator Pedal. Accelerator Pedal failure is very rare.

that was taken straight from the Ross Tech site.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Accelerator Position Sensor faults can be caused by issues with the Oxygen Sensor(s) and it's wiring. Please verify this BEFORE replacing the ECM or Accelerator Pedal. Accelerator Pedal failure is very rare.

that was taken straight from the Ross Tech site.
This might be the case, but if it is, I would question the overall design. Most all drive by wire cars have separate control for the drive by wire and if there are problems with the O2 sensor(s) and fuel mixture, this would and should not cause drive by wire failures. If the fuel mixture is too far off, then the ECU will typically default into a fixed fuel and possibly ignition mapping that tends to be conservative. Rich mixture and light on ignition timing.

O2 sensor/wiring may interact with the Accelerator Position Sensor, but this would be rather strange?

I would like to see the Ross Tech references to where the O2 sensor(s) or wire(ing) can impact the drive by wire system.

Link??

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This may give you some ideas?? - 18039 - Accelerator Position Sensor (G79) P1631 - 35-00 - Signal too High

As I thought, likely a crappy design implementation!!!! The O2 sensors have no direct impact on the throttle, BUT if the O2 sensor wiring is shorted, then it can damage the ECU portion that supports the throttle control grounding.

It appears if you short, your rodent shorts (Maybe something to do with your user name??), the O2 sensor wiring there is some share pad wihtin the ECU, likely for the heater circuits???

Hopefully you can recover from this without a ECU replaced and reprogramming??

Good luck.

BTW, not sure why they do these thinks, I had a squirrel check through the black rubber hose for my gas grille a few years ago. Something about the black rubber, insulation or something that makes them interested??

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh Lord i hope i dont need an ecu. that would suck major monkey balls

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I did not read the thread I linked super close, but the readers digest version looks like you can a supplemental grounds from the throttle pedal in the car to the body ground somewhere.

As a test you may be able to connect a ground wire to the body and back probe the throttle pedal connector to make sure this is your problem and the grounds will solve the problem before you go to all the trouble to put a permanent solution in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts