VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Weird situation.

My Beetle will start and drive fine, but as you are driving it dies. Lights, radio, blower, etc all still work. Car just dies, as if you just pulled the key out. I pull over and turn it off and it starts up and runs fine.
Took it in to be looked at and they said the Throttle has lost it's memory? They took it out and reset it and it seemed fine. Does the same thing to me today.

They are thinking it this continues the throttle will need to be replace at the tune of around $1,000.

I just had the fuel pump replaced, so I'm not sure if this is all connected or just bad timing.

Advice?

2001 Beetle 153K miles.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Have you had the car scanned for codes? Does the engine quit? Or does the throttle just not respond?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had the car scanned for codes? Does the engine quit? Or does the throttle just not respond?
No codes were found. The car just quits. If I hadn't been driving down the road I would have sworn someone turned it off.

At first I thought the transmission was failing, but quickly realized the car was completely off. YOu press the gas and nothing, the engine is off. The lights, radio, ect still were working just fine. The battery was replaced in November, so I don't think that is the issue (besides the lights, etc would not be working if it was a battery)

·
Registered
56 Posts
My wife car did just that its a 1.8t but it was relay 428 under the hood. Ehile cool it worked fine car got warm and the relay got warm lost connection and car dies everytime.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is there a part number for the relay? My car is giving us fits. My husband wants to replace the Throttle Body @ $780, but if it could be fixed cheaper, I really want to try cheaper.

Our car seems to lose compression for a few seconds. The EPC light comes on. We've replace the sensor, cleared the check engine light, and all the codes. It keeps happening. Repeatedly. This has been going on since January.

I don't remember the codes we are getting, and the car is not here, but as soon as we get it home, I will post them.

Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts