VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2001 new beetle (1.8T) that had a cracked head, and repaired it myself (I used to be a dealership mechanic, not VW though). I've got the car running, but with 2 problems:

1. Sometimes when the car is running, I can floor the throttle and it doesn't do anything, I can jump up and down (almost) on the pedal and no response. Other times it works ok, or the RPMs will drop suddenly and then recover while holding the throttle partly open. I've been reading about the TBA procedure that should be done (with a VAG-COM) after the battery is disconnected, is it possible that doing this procedure would fix this issue, or does it sound like the throttle body actuator needs replacement?

2. The idle is pretty rough still, does it take a while for the hydraulic lifters to pump up after sitting for a long time? I know we had this problem on some of our GM engines that I worked on previously.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
The TBA procedure should be performed asap, the alignment may correct the problem but there is no guarantee, see if there are any fault codes stored in your ECU and if so, record them, this should help you to diagnose the problem(s).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Actually I've done some further reading and diagnosis, and found the following:

1. After the lifters pumped up, I still had a miss on #2 cyl. I swapped the coil with #4 and the miss moved with it, so I replaced the coil. Smooth idle!

2. Still have a problem with the engine not responding when giving it throttle; I disconnected the MAF and it runs much better.

I figure either the MAF needs calibration with the VAG-COM tool (which I don't have right now, I'm selling the car as soon as I get it fixed up so I'd rather not buy one if I can avoid it), OR the MAF is bad, OR I've got some kind of leak somewhere. Still not sure if the throttle actuator is part of the problem or not. I'm pretty sure that yesterday it was acting up even with the MAF disconnected, but today I drove it with the MAF disconnected and it ran fine.

Main question I have is, without doing the calibrations with the VAG-COM should I expect the engine to perform this badly (almost no response at all to throttle at times), or is there probably something else going on? I know a VW service advisor who I used to work with at GM and he might be able to have someone check the car out, but if you guys have any input on this it would be appreciated.

BTW - no fault codes except for from disconnecting the MAF and the cyl 2/4 misfire codes, which are gone now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts