VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally back! The Disney beetle is up and has been registered and running for 3 months now, and I have not really paid too much attention to it since. But the inevitable is happening, and it is demanding more attention now. I am getting a "tick" from this motor on acceleration only. I would think, if it was a valve that the tick would happen regardless of acceleration or deceleration. If I let off the gas, or if I keep it at a constant RPM, it quiets down. ran a quart of marvel mystery oil through it for a few weeks, then did an oil change and did a synthetic. Looking for suggestions on what to check at this point.

Thanks for looking!!

-George D.

·
Herbie's Nurse Dude
26 Posts
Penzoil Synthetic toook the ping out.

Penzoil Synthetic helped mine. I was loyal to Mobil one prior to that. Penzoil helped significantly!:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Take a look at the timing belt/tensioner.
The belt flexes under load (acceleration) and 'relaxes' at constant throttle or decell.

If you don't know for certain how old the belt is, change it!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Take a look at the timing belt/tensioner.
The belt flexes under load (acceleration) and 'relaxes' at constant throttle or decell.

If you don't know for certain how old the belt is, change it!
x2 on changing the belt, tensioner, water pump, and other assorted bits usually done at the same time if you don't know how old the belt on the car really is. If any of these fail completely, you can crash the valves into the pistons and cause severe engine damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts