NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TDI Owner
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couldn't seem to find anything in the search and haven't really dealt with any type of clutch or tranny stuff. I've recently noticed that my when I downshift mainly almost always in second gear but also in 3rd and 4th sometimes that there is a loud whining noise. It's not the car idling down. It's deffinitely in the clutch/tranny. The car has almost 109k on it and everything is stock except for the racepipe I have. So am I soon to be in need of a new clutch? pressure plate part? etc? sorry not too familiar with this aspect of the car. I don't know that the tranny fluid has ever been changed. should I start there?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Couldn't seem to find anything in the search and haven't really dealt with any type of clutch or tranny stuff. I've recently noticed that my when I downshift mainly almost always in second gear but also in 3rd and 4th sometimes that there is a loud whining noise. It's not the car idling down. It's deffinitely in the clutch/tranny. The car has almost 109k on it and everything is stock except for the racepipe I have. So am I soon to be in need of a new clutch? pressure plate part? etc? sorry not too familiar with this aspect of the car. I don't know that the tranny fluid has ever been changed. should I start there?
Definitely change the transmission fluid. I changed mine recently and it was pretty filthy. It only takes 2 quarts. Actually a tad less since you can't get all the old fluid drained out of the transmission case. I was only able to fill it with about 1.8 quarts of Manual transmission fluid.
I would recommend the OEM fluid from the Dealer. I however changed my transmission fluid to Penzoil Synchromesh from Autozone. There are a lot of people that have some pros and cons to say about that but I gave it a try and I am very pleased with the results. It shifts very smooth and got rid of any notchiness. I may switch back to VW OEM fluid in the spring but for now the Penzoil Synchromesh is doing very well.

I would start with a fluid change and see what happenes. The whinning noise has usually something to do with the transmission itself not necessarily the clutch. The best way to test the clutch is to go around 25-30mph, shift into 3rd gear and push down on the accellerator. If your RPMs go up but the car doesn't accellerate then your clutch is slipping.
This will usually happen first in the upper gears. Try the 30mph test in 3rd gear and also in 4th gear and see if the clutch is slipping. If it isn't then it is not your clutch.

·
TDI Owner
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alrighty thanks! just ordered the stuff to do the gear oil change! and while I'm at it gotta do rear rotors and change the oil! gonna be a fun day! when I get the parts anyways:/

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
alrighty thanks! just ordered the stuff to do the gear oil change! and while I'm at it gotta do rear rotors and change the oil! gonna be a fun day! when I get the parts anyways:/
If you do the rear rotors make sure you have the proper tool to rotate the caliper piston while pushing it in or you may damage the calipers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts