VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the market for new tires - wife's NB has the Turbo S 17" wheels, a pair each of 225/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4 (noisy) and Fuzion HRi. One of the 4's was driven flat and ruined, the other two are dry and cracking, so it's definitely time for a full set.
After reading as many reviews, I have come to the conclusion that any given tire sucks in the wet, is noisy, disintegrated while driving, causes alien abductions or otherwise is unsatisfactory. The other side of the opinion coin has as many positive reviews.
What's a mother to do?

• Costco has Bridgestone Potenza RE970 (two different flavors :confused:) "on sale"
  • Les Schwab has the Toyo Proxes 4S (improved over the 4)
  • The local (Ellensburg) tire shop has Cooper RS3-A
  • I see Craigslist ads for the Lexani LX-7 tires (cheap) at a Yakima tire shop.
I'm confining my search for good all-season (M+S) performance tires to go on Phoebe. She's not driven hard, unless our son gets hold of the key, we are pretty dry, but winters do bring snow without fail. We do not have a separate set of winter tires as yet.
Opinions, suggestions on the above - or others?
TIA

·
BEAR
109 Posts
worked as a service writer and wrench turner for many yearss. Never had any legit trouble with Bridgestone Potenza tires. Do the rotates as required. Use the nitrrogeen that costco offers because it does not fluxuate the tiree pressure like the regualr o2 does. Have them checked pressure wise regularly. Do that you should have no tire problems with a very long life.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
For a cheap long lasting tire, I recommend Kuhmos. I always thought you had to spend big money to get a good tire. My Kuhmos proved me wrong.

Sent from my Peace Love and "Six for Six" app

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
Here is my thought on tires. Spend the extra money and buy the best tire you can afford. I compare tires to mayonnaise. If you buy crappy mayo you have to have 50 sandwiches with crappy mayo. If you buy crappy tires you have to drive on them for 40-50 thousand miles. You will love your car so much more when you have good tires on it. Break down the cost over 3-4 years and it's foolish not to spend an extra hundred or two.

Go to tirerack.com and read reviews.

I love my Michelins. They cost more but I'm worth it :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Size

Can you go up a size over stock like to a 235/45 or 245/45 ? Time to replace mine and wonder if a little more meat is worth it.Stock Turbo Rims

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about that for about 5 seconds - I don't want to alter her perfectly-balanced Bug.
I sprung for the Proxes 4+ at Les Schwab, Debby loves them. They are way quieter and once they warm up (about 15 miles on the freeway, they smooth out). Around town (most driving), you don't notice the thumping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts