NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after one blown sidewall, two patches, & one plug on the factory Michelins that still managed 45,000 miles, i need some REAL tires...

i have narrowed it down to these based on price & performance: Avon Tech M550 A/S, Kumho ECSTA ASX, & Toyo Proxes 4.

anyone have any experiences with any of the above or any suggestions for another "ultra-high performance" all season tire for my Turbo S (225/45-17)...

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Is the Avon the one with the sidewall "lip" that protects your wheels from curb rash? If so, I'd choose those in a heartbeat.

I've had good luck with Kumho tires too.

I am currently running some ridiculously cheap Nanking's for the past 3 years/25,000 miles and the tread still looks like new.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fowvay said:
The Avon 550 A/S is one that I have been wanting to try. It sounds like a fantastic do it all tire. The only other tire I would give a shot would be the Pirreli Pzero Nero M/S. I have recommended it to several people and they are all extremly pleased.

Tom aka Fowvay
i read the reviews on tirerack & just can't believe that the Avon tires are THAT highly rated! sounds too good to be true, since i've never even heard of them before...

the pzero nero was on my list, but i like the prices of the others better...

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
ndangrd said:
i read the reviews on tirerack & just can't believe that the Avon tires are THAT highly rated! sounds too good to be true, since i've never even heard of them before...

the pzero nero was on my list, but i like the prices of the others better...

Avon tires have been around forever. This is not some upstart company. They have been huge in the USofA with motorcycle tires and in europe they used to supply Bently, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Mini, Range Rover, etc.. these are and have always been super high quality tires.

I'm glad that the tirerack is finally picking them up. :)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Fowvay said:
Avon tires have been around forever. This is not some upstart company. They have been huge in the USofA with motorcycle tires and in europe they used to supply Bently, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Mini, Range Rover, etc.. these are and have always been super high quality tires.

I'm glad that the tirerack is finally picking them up. :)
When I bought the 18's for the beetle, for $940 shipped, I was given my choice of the Nankings or the Avons (as my only two choices to get the ultra cheap price)... I asked the difference and was told about the sidewall of the Avons sticks out so it is a little farther out than the lip of the rim - preventing curb rash. I was like "Sign me up! I'll take those!". Then they guy checked stock and told me they were out of the Avons so I had to get the Nankings. This was about 3 years ago - the guy also mentioned they were a British brand. I say if the Avons are the best price, they are the best value too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bridgesone Potenza RE050's. Sticky, great steering response, great ride and QUIET.

Have them on the TDI .. they are rated an UHP A/S.

I have Potenza S-03 Pole Positions on the 'vert (they are off my soon to be gone Saab). They perform better, overall, than the RE050's, but are not an A/S tire.

FWIW, I have Bridgestones on all of the cars I own, and yes, I've become enamored with them!

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
I have the Proxes4 on my car and they are excellent tires.

The Proxes4 are amazing in the dry and wet, and I drove them in 2 snow storms last year and they did OK, considering they're 225/45/17s and the tread is geared more towards performance than winter driving. Not the best in the snow, but their dry/wet capabilites makes up for that.

I would venture a guess that the Avons would be better in the winter, but the Proxes better in ultimate dry grip (summer).

Again, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those that you're considering.

I give a huge thumbs up for the Toyos, they ride great, handle great and after 20k miles the tread is still barely worn.

I had the Toyo T1-s on a BMW that I tracked and those tires were amazing also. So from my experiences with Toyo tires, they've outperformed my expectations.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I have 225/40 18 Toyo FZ4s as my summer wheels and they did pretty darn good in the snow. I had to drive thru a bit of it and they did pretty very well considering thier heavy bias towards warmer weather. Where they don't do as well is in 33* to 45* rain... they get a bit greasy and spin pretty easy.

I have Dunlop M3s to fix that problem though.. these should be much much better. :D

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
i got a hardcore deal on some bf n/a kdw tires.... tehy look cool... see how they preform

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does anyone know how much the toyo's are or should be? i'm going to look for them locally tomorrow & don't want to get ripped. i can get the kumho's for installed for $511...

·
or the '59. Drive em!
24 Posts
We have a pair of toyo Proxes4 17" on the front- to replace the Michlin stock units supplied by dealer. The pair was a few bucks cheaper than a pair of the michlins.

I dont remember $$ off hand- I was busy getting the wheel straightend after someone sailed the car through a big pothole and the dealer claimed both tires shot and new rim was $400+
The rim straightening was 85.....

Thanks for reminding me- I gotta check the rears and see if another pair is in the future...

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
v-dubed said:
i got a hardcore deal on some bf n/a kdw tires.... tehy look cool... see how they preform
I am running the B/F KDW2s and I love them. Excellent handling in the dry and wet. About to order another set and see how much better they peform after I switch gearboxes and run with my LSD.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
www.edgeracing.com has the Toyo Proxes4 for $94/tire plus shipping.
This is probably the best price you can find online.
I think my local STS had them for $140/tire installed.

So you may want to check into mail ordering them and installing locally.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2254517/

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212. That would probably be the best bang for buck. $80/tire and all that.

·
Blitzkrieg Racing
25 Posts
I put the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S's on my TS last year right before winter. Great tire, both in snow, rain, or dry weather. I would highly recomend them to anyone looking for a high performance all season tire. Noise level dropped also.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts