VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 new beetle with 190,000miles
This week,took it to a local auto repair shop.The transmission is a automatic it needs to be replaced.I'm considering selling due to the fact that,at this point I might as well put an engine in it.
Since,I've had enough fun thru the years,but I'm considering.buying a Mazda protege and sell the bug as is.
Just how long does a 2.0 gas engine last?
Thx
Cindy

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts
The engine can go for a long time, especially if its well maintained. The auto trans is really the downfall of them. But nearly 200k is a pretty good run.

What is going on with the trans? You might just need a valve body replacement. Still not really very cheap, but much cheaper than a new trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's more info
im on my computer,now :)
the reason why I took the bug to the shop:
the car would have to be warmed up to prevent the transmission from shifting hard-in the morning and when it sat all day--the shop put in 1 qt of trans fluid.
after driving 15 miles,I would hear a whirling noise from the front end in sync with the speed of engine and tires. At one point could feel vibrations in steeling wheel---the shop does not do transmission work,so they recommended another shop for repair/replacement.
the bug was driven from the shop to my brothers house,which is close by and now resides next to his shop,til I decide what to do.
Thx for your replies,they are helpful

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Has the transmission ever been overhauled or had the valve body replaced? It would be pretty amazing for one of these to go 190,000 miles without major service.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts
My mechanic has a TDI with a dead auto with 275k on it. Not sure of fluid changes. These transmissions *can* go for awhile, but its really a crap shoot.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
tranny fluid

never had any major work done ,just change the transmission fluid every 3 yrs
Maybe that's where u went wrong you changed the tranny fluid too many times. I have yet to change my tranny fluid even once and i'm up to 192k miles now,(still shifts normal with no problems). Well I only drive the car on weekends now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts