NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the call I had been waiting for today for a new job (YAY ME), only thing is its a good 65 mile round trip per day and that isn't the type of mileage I want to put on my passat so Im dusting the old new beetle off and using it as my commuter.

Along with the astetic fixes I did a few months ago I will be working today tomorrow and Thursday to

1. Replace ALL brakes (the rear ones are really low)
  2. Get the brand new spare tire that has a nail in it fixed
  3. Re-change the transmission fluid and filter (I still dont think I did it correctly last time and it scares the hell out of me driving it far.
  4. Fixing the small leak in the oil drain plug (I hope it isnt stripped)
  5. Fixing the coolant leak that appears to just be a rotten low line (fingers crossed)
  6. Seafoam!

Right now she has 150,000 miles on her and she is still running great (thanks to the org of course)

Wish me luck!

If you suggest anything to keep it running smoothly, feel free to tell!

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
All I can say is the NB is a great commuter car.
My last job was 65 miles one way. 130 roundtrip. Car did great.
I didn't want to have to drive that distance, or put the miles on my bug, but the ya gotta do, what ya gotta do, to make the $$$$.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I got the call I had been waiting for today for a new job (YAY ME), only thing is its a good 65 mile round trip per day and that isn't the type of mileage I want to put on my passat so Im dusting the old new beetle off and using it as my commuter.

Wish me luck!
65 miles, AND in Houston traffic...
I can so relate, I live in Nassau Bay and my office/shop is off 290, just off the North Loop. 35 miles each way.

Congrats on your new job, and good luck!

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
All I can say is the NB is a great commuter car.
My last job was 65 miles one way. 130 roundtrip. Car did great.
I didn't want to have to drive that distance, or put the miles on my bug, but the ya gotta do, what ya gotta do, to make the $$$$.
You had me beat by 7 miles one way. :eek: I totally agree Gene, I started driving mine 2 years ago like that at 92K and I'm at 158K now. My so called problematic 98 has been one helluva trooper. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
290 & 34th. I have my own business, kind of changed the direction of the business a couple years ago. Eliminated a lot of overhead and dead weight. Have taken to working out of the house, so what's active there is the shop and warehouse. Most of our work is out of town, so I pretty much just use the warehouse for material, vehicle, and trailer storage. My old stomping ground, when I came to Houston in '77 my business was on Milwee, just off 290.

You have the drive from Hell. Worst commute route in town, as you have probably figured out. Do you work such that you can take part and ride in? Or carpool and take the HOV? When we lived in Bear Creek, back in the '90's, my wife worked downtown and was at first hesitant to take it, but finally caved in, and after a week, didn't want to have anything to do with driving in.

M.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
290 & 34th. I have my own business, kind of changed the direction of the business a couple years ago. Eliminated a lot of overhead and dead weight. Have taken to working out of the house, so what's active there is the shop and warehouse. Most of our work is out of town, so I pretty much just use the warehouse for material, vehicle, and trailer storage. My old stomping ground, when I came to Houston in '77 my business was on Milwee, just off 290.

You have the drive from Hell. Worst commute route in town, as you have probably figured out. Do you work such that you can take part and ride in? Or carpool and take the HOV? When we lived in Bear Creek, back in the '90's, my wife worked downtown and was at first hesitant to take it, but finally caved in, and after a week, didn't want to have anything to do with driving in.

M.

Me and the wife are going to see what we can figure out my new office is about 2 blocks from her office but we have different schedules so we might just be driving separately, I take the beltway to westpark and can make it there in traffic in about an hour to an hour 15 minutes

What kind of business ya run?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts