NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing the timing belt, water pump, I discovered that the belt was too tight. Removed the top cover and readjusted the belt.. That seems good now. Issue: the belt seems to be running on the outside edge of the pulleys, like not centered...
I adjusted the belt tension, and moved the belt back to the center. adjusted the belt tightness, and started it up. Immediately, the belt wanted to run out towards the position it was. Any idea why it thinks it needs to run on the outer edge? It is still ok, except it was hitting on the plastic cover - eventually, that will wear the belt out for early failure..

Next, the engine wants to overheat, no indication on the dash lights, but it bubbles over at the reservoir overflow after heating up.. only running water at the moment, as seems this should work for troubleshooting. Tested the water pump as I get water pressure from the water flange toward the radiator. Not a lot of pressure/flow, but it is moving water. Fans work when using the AC only. Have burped several times, removed the thermostat. I did find the sludge / crap from mixing anti-freeze, but I have flushed all hoses and external components.. running water at the moment.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance...
Goatman (my car is a real '65 GTO, much easier to work on...)

PS...This is the 2.0 gas in a 2001 beetle. engine has 124K.. first timing belt/water pump was replaced at 60k. water pump started leaking - so I replaced belt, tensioner, and pump

·
Registered
24 Posts
check your timing marks...how did you "change" the timing belt...how were things before you did the work? was it running hot before? Was the car running good? you say it is running hot, is there indication from the computer (dash light)?
I did this job before any problems arose in my wife's 2000 nb. used the "mark" the belt method and the car actually runs better. I think the belt was stretched and the timing was off a bit...Still have "questions" regarding these "stretch" bolts..

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I noticed when I did mine it had the same thing, ive been running 2 years on it with no problems, if the tensioner says its tight I doubt it will slip off, if you notice the sprocket is considerably thicker than the belt itself. As long as nothing is hanging over I think you're good.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
After replacing the timing belt, water pump, I discovered that the belt was too tight. Removed the top cover and readjusted the belt.. That seems good now. Issue: the belt seems to be running on the outside edge of the pulleys, like not centered...
I adjusted the belt tension, and moved the belt back to the center. adjusted the belt tightness, and started it up. Immediately, the belt wanted to run out towards the position it was. Any idea why it thinks it needs to run on the outer edge? It is still ok, except it was hitting on the plastic cover - eventually, that will wear the belt out for early failure..
Timing belt tension is set by ensuring the indicator on the tensioner spring assembly is set correctly, you need to use a mirror.

Tension does not affect where on the pulleys the belt runs, if it was far enough out to touch the guard then you clearly have a pulley mis-aligned, either the tensioner or water pump. I'll bet the tensioner assembly has some debris under it and is not sitting quite flat against the engine block face.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Timing belt tension is set by ensuring the indicator on the tensioner spring assembly is set correctly, you need to use a mirror.

Tension does not affect where on the pulleys the belt runs, if it was far enough out to touch the guard then you clearly have a pulley mis-aligned, either the tensioner or water pump. I'll bet the tensioner assembly has some debris under it and is not sitting quite flat against the engine block face.
I will bet money that the tab on the tensioner isn't in the hole in the block and that's why the tensioner is running the belt to the outside. I check for the tab into the block with a mirror too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts