NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well six hours later and my timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat and temp sensor have all been replaced. All that is left to do is fill her will coolant. The anticipation was killing me so I started her up and gave her a few quick revs and everything sounded musical. I would guess that if the timing was off I would notice the noises right away.

Anyways I can't give my final blessing until I drive it down the road which will have to wait until tomorrow. I will post my learnings of what to do and not to do, plus maybe even try posting a few pics.

Time for bed and to go dreaming of what I can do with my $650 saved from the dealer's price. Oh yeah, I bought a new snowblower tonight!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
jbehm said:
Well six hours later and my timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat and temp sensor have all been replaced. All that is left to do is fill her will coolant. The anticipation was killing me so I started her up and gave her a few quick revs and everything sounded musical. I would guess that if the timing was off I would notice the noises right away.

Anyways I can't give my final blessing until I drive it down the road which will have to wait until tomorrow. I will post my learnings of what to do and not to do, plus maybe even try posting a few pics.

Time for bed and to go dreaming of what I can do with my $650 saved from the dealer's price. Oh yeah, I bought a new snowblower tonight!
how's about you come over to the QC and do mine? i am about to do mine soon and i don't know who to trust here! seriously...i'll pay you... :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,

As helpful as I like to be I am not sure if I am comfortable enough performing this on someone else's car yet. There were a couple of times of me holding my breath and saying a little prayer. One being last night when I first started it up. Granted I checked and checked again but there was still a little doubt. The other being this morning filling the coolant wondering if I was burning up the engine. Thinking, maybe my new temp sensor is bad, or maybe I got a bad thermostat.

I would suggest checking around small shops. There is a shop here is Des Moines call Jerry's Bug shop who quoted me $500 for everything, but they were going to be selling the business in a few weeks. So who do I see if I have a problem?

I just couldn't trust the dealer. Granted I stripped a screw out but I know I did it and too watch it. They would never tell you if they did something like that. CarX left out 3 of the 6 or 7 bolts that hold the timing belt cover on in her Elantra. I was real pleased about that.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
jbehm said:
Well, as helpful as I like to be I am not sure if I am comfortable enough performing this on someone else's car yet.
i am getting quotes from two different places. one is the local vw dealership and one is a shop i've only been to for one small thing. i have no idea who to trust and i just can't work on my car myself for a number of reasons.

it's a scary thing being a car owner sometimes. you want someone to do it right, but you never know if they will. and of course, cost is always an issue.

i was kidding about you coming here. ;) however, i wouldn't have said no if you lived here and wanted to give it a shot!

we'll see how things go next week. i might even get a few more quotes. who knows. i haven't taken this car anywhere for major work yet. who knows!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get some references from friends and coworkers.

I guess if I was going to take mine to a shop I would just make sure you either have proof they are using a new metal water pump (dealer here still uses plastic, go figure?) and that they use G12 coolant. I may even take them the coolant. Jerry's Bug shop would not put in the parts if I bought them from ECS because they couldn't gaurantee their work. I don't know how they could gaurantee anything if they were going out of business soon. So they had to order the parts, but they didn't mind me seeing what they were going to put in before they did it.

I would also ask for all parts back that were replaced. After we dropped my wife's car off at CarX I started to feel uneasy about not going to the dealer. They were supposed to change the belt, tensioner and idler pulley for the tune of $450 odd dollars. When I called them asking to hang onto the parts, they said they would. When we showed up to get the car they stated that they only had to change the belt and the tensioner and idler did not need changing. Plus the cost was down to $300.00. What I think happened is that they either forgot or just didn't order the other two parts and if I hadn't asked for them back, we would have still paid $450, but since all he had to give me was a belt he had to lower the cost. So now I am nervous about one of those parts failing.

Oh yeah, my next feat will be changing my auto trans fluid. Maybe we can meet at a rest stop between us and have a little group grope on the fluid change!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
jbehm said:
Get some references from friends and coworkers.

I guess if I was going to take mine to a shop I would just make sure you either have proof they are using a new metal water pump (dealer here still uses plastic, go figure?) and that they use G12 coolant. I may even take them the coolant. Jerry's Bug shop would not put in the parts if I bought them from ECS because they couldn't gaurantee their work. I don't know how they could gaurantee anything if they were going out of business soon. So they had to order the parts, but they didn't mind me seeing what they were going to put in before they did it.

I would also ask for all parts back that were replaced. After we dropped my wife's car off at CarX I started to feel uneasy about not going to the dealer. They were supposed to change the belt, tensioner and idler pulley for the tune of $450 odd dollars. When I called them asking to hang onto the parts, they said they would. When we showed up to get the car they stated that they only had to change the belt and the tensioner and idler did not need changing. Plus the cost was down to $300.00. What I think happened is that they either forgot or just didn't order the other two parts and if I hadn't asked for them back, we would have still paid $450, but since all he had to give me was a belt he had to lower the cost. So now I am nervous about one of those parts failing.

Oh yeah, my next feat will be changing my auto trans fluid. Maybe we can meet at a rest stop between us and have a little group grope on the fluid change!
i will be getting the parts myself from ECS, if they let me. i just don't trust them 100%, BUT i can't afford (i am guessing) the dealerships cost. sad when you can't even trust the "experts".

i am still debating the transmission fluid flush (see my other thread). i am going to hold on that one for now...i am guessing my mechanic doesn't know about the G12 thing.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
jbehm said:
I figured the least I could do since she was such a good patient is give her a bath and her 1st picture on the ORG.
nice! thanks for sharing! i love that color... :D

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Nice New Beetle

jbehm said:
I figured the least I could do since she was such a good patient is give her a bath and her 1st picture on the ORG.
Welcome to the ORG!

Nice Photo, Your New beetle Is very nice.

Happy driving,

John K.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
jbehm said:
Here are a few more:
man, i wish i had the guts to attempt that! how do you know how to do all that stuff? trial and error? mechanic? reading books?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No trial and error, at least not in this case. Honestly, I would not have ever attempted it if it weren't for this website. I gained most of my courage through reading the forums for the past year. You will find pretty much anything you are wanting to accomplish on here. Chances are someone has done it.

I also repair stuff all day in the hospital, like patient monitoring equipment, anesthesia machines and we do radiology equipment. So I guess reading manuals and doing things right is in my nature.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
jbehm said:
No trial and error, at least not in this case. Honestly, I would not have ever attempted it if it weren't for this website. I gained most of my courage through reading the forums for the past year. You will find pretty much anything you are wanting to accomplish on here. Chances are someone has done it.

I also repair stuff all day in the hospital, like patient monitoring equipment, anesthesia machines and we do radiology equipment. So I guess reading manuals and doing things right is in my nature.
i'd probably be more courageous about doing work on my car if i had a place to do it. i park in the street and don't even have a driveway and there's no way i am going to tear my car apart in the street! plus, i don't have the tools and no one i know is the least bit mechanically inclined. there are a few things i might attempt in the future, but the timing belt is not one of them. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts