VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the timing belt in my 2000 1.8l beetle. Replaced at the stuff that came in the kit, checked TDC three to four times, now it runs like garbage. I got fault codes for misfires on four cylinders. Is it possible the belt is off one or more teeth. Is it possible to re-adjust the belt with the new tensioner on? Please help, I new to the water cooled VW.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Timing belt

I am going to pull it apart in the morning again and try to get it adjusted. I checked TDC on both the cam pulley and mark on the fly wheel, but guess I must have been off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed

I think I got it, initially she was running rough, but after about 15 minutes she straightened out and smoothed out. No codes, and performance appears to be right on for the turbo. Thanks for the help D2Beetle, I made my tool for the tensioner from a bolt locally procured from Menards. I had to thread it all the way, but have a tap and die set so it was no problem. Next time should go much faster, new exhaust is next...maybe. Wife says I have to get my Bus done and sold first.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Ecm

That's why I always say folks need to reset the main computer after any major repair. I've seen mine do that before where the car runs really bad after a repair and then smooths out after a day or two. Glad u got it going man, congrats.:D

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
I think I got it, initially she was running rough, but after about 15 minutes she straightened out and smoothed out. No codes, and performance appears to be right on for the turbo. Thanks for the help D2Beetle, I made my tool for the tensioner from a bolt locally procured from Menards. I had to thread it all the way, but have a tap and die set so it was no problem. Next time should go much faster, new exhaust is next...maybe. Wife says I have to get my Bus done and sold first.
You are welcome and glad I could help. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts