VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Beetle 2.0L engine code AVH; 145,000 miles; Original timing belt replaced at 90k

Car died while driving and wouldn't start back up and the diagnostics from the dealer point towards broken timing belt. I understand there is risk for internal engine damage, but I've been told from three different shops including the dealer that there is a decent chance nothing internal was damaged. Quotes vary for the timing belt replacement, but I think I can do it myself if there is a way to get the timing right. Is there a good method of how to get the cam and crank back in sync?

If its feasible to do in a garage I'll give it a shot. Right now the car is worth nothing so if I put a few hundred bucks into one of the timing belt replacement kits with water pump, etc then it might be worth a shot at getting it running again as a backup car. Other than that the car ran great recently! Any input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The good news is it is a 2.0 so repairs are much cheaper than a 1.8( 2 valves per cylinder verses 5) But VW motors are interference engines so some piston has hit some of the valves.
Possible damage at least 1 valve on most likely 2 cylinders ( VW uses a weird firing on a dead cylinder process for balance)also the cam may be hurt along with the cam followers,

1st decision is do you want to fix it? The age and milage make this decision of the heart not the head. KBB private party is about 2000.
2nd Check and then pull the head or pull the head.as it has to come off to be replaced or repaired.
3 rebuild your head or get rebuilt head
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/53720-head-removal-diy.html#post770597

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies VDub and Billy. One of the shops around town has quoted me at around $500 for the TB/WP/etc repair, then go from there regarding top end repairs if required. With so many miles I'm kind of thinking a total refresh might not be a bad idea and maybe just knock out the head swap in order for some added insurance. (I'd hate to get this thing repaired only to have a head gasket go in a few months) It sounds like the head will be coming off either way. I'll call tomorrow to get a quote on the cost to replace the head from the same shop at the same time. Thanks for the input!!

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
... With so many miles I'm kind of thinking a total refresh might not be a bad idea and maybe just knock out the head swap in order for some added insurance. (I'd hate to get this thing repaired only to have a head gasket go in a few months) It sounds like the head will be coming off either way. ...
I agree, do it all one time and get some piece of mind.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I agree, do it all one time and get some piece of mind.
Agreed. Some people on these forums have tried just replacing the timing belt when theirs broke "hoping for the best". But, I do not recall this ever being successful. This approach seems silly in retrospect, since the timing belt will just have to come off again in order to pull the head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts