VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello- 1.8T NB- Finishing up a timing belt job with new tensioner water pump etc. Should any bolts get Locktite (red, blue?) before I button everything up? Cause I didn't use any Locktite. I'm not 100% buttoned up, but pretty close. Guess I could back up and add some if I really should. I've torqued my bolts to spec. I didnt see any reference to using it in my Haynes, but they were kinda vague on a few things...Dave

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Whenever, I do a timing belt job on a 1.8T; I just try to replace the thread locker/loctite, on fasteners that I have seen had it on them to begin with from the factory. I use a torque wrench; on the hydraulic tensioner, waterpump and crank/harmonic balancer pulley. I put loctite on the timing belt tin cover bolts, crank/harmonic balancer bolts and leave the rest alone, just torquing to factory specs. I use the blauparts timing belt kits and they always come with a small amount of thread locker, it is the blue colored strength version.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
locktite

Billy- thanks for the note. yeah i didn't really notice any residual thread locker on any of the bolts as I removed them, maybe thats why I didn't think to add any on reassembly. I could easily take the lower and middle metal covers off, add a drip to each and replace. I haven't put the crank pulley on yet. Dave

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I think; there maybe some on there from vw; as vibration could be a issue? I have heard of crank pulleys; falling off, as people didn't tighten them down to spec. I figure; it is a nice additional precaution, against any possible problems and gives me peace of mind. Although, I think if you torque everything to factory spec; you probably will be fine, I guess it makes me feel better, to have thread locker on those areas.

As far as I can tell; the crank bolts, are not torque to yield and I have reused them without any problems.

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: M8x16

Volkswagen Part #: N10303607

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Crankshaft_Pulley_Bolt/ES6012/

Now on the engine mounts; those ARE torque to yield and if you don't replace them, it is easy to strip out the mounting threads (they are aluminum). From my experience and research; I think the threads, may get distorted, when they stretch and will the aluminum being so soft, they are easy to strip. For tightening the motor mounts; tighten by hand and use a torque wrench. They are supposed to be replaced; one time use, torque to yield fasteners.

Stretch bolts for all Mk4 Golf/Jetta/New Beetle left or right engine mounts. This kit is good for ONE mount, either the left or right side.

Bolts Included:
N90596906 x 2 - Bolt M10x55x32
N10209605 x 2 - Bolt M12x1.5x65

Stretch_Mk4_Mounts Motor Mount Stretch Bolts - Left/Right, Mk4

In my case; I had removed the engine mounts, a number of times and didn't replace the torque to yield bolts, I ended up stripping out the mount bracket. I went ahead and put Time sert metal threaded inserts in them. These are pretty expensive but I figured; even if I bought a new bracket, it would end up stripping out again, anyway. So, that was a permanent and professional repair solution; hopefully, I'll never have to deal with it, ever again. So, NOT replacing the torque to yield motor mount bolts, tightening/torqueing by hand; can end up destroying the threads and require expesive thread repairs as a result.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/50942-turbo-s-just-lost-1st-2nd-my-02m-6-speed-5.html

·
Notorious DOM
68 Posts
Awwwwww....Nurtz! I didn't. Well, that's what I get for being a VW n00b!

Maybe if it rattles apart, that'll give me an excuse to tell the wife, "Honey, I need a new, built, 1.8t. It'll only be a few thousand...

Well, under 10.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
locktite

Well I pulled those cover bolts and used some blue on them. AND installed my crank pulley with blue (to spec torque). PROUDLY painted my mileage on the top TB cover. I made the 45 minute one way trip yesterday to my local dealer and bought those 4 engine mount bolts, so i'm good there, torqued them to 40nm plus 90.

I did notice tonight that there is a bunch of plastic rattling around inside the coolant globe. Looks like a little cone shaped thing that attaches to that 1/4" top port has disintegrated. Thinking about going to the junkyard to see if there is anything better. Would it be bad to just put that thing back in there? Dave

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hmm, maybe make a video or take a picture; of the problem in the globe you are referring to. A new coolant tank/globe; is not that expensive, so you might just go that route. You can get a genuine VW part; for $20-$30. At that price, it is hardly worth the hassle of going to the junkyard for a used one; which maybe brittle and failure prone from too many heat cycles and age.

Engine Coolant Expansion Tank. Reservoir.
Volkswagen Part Number: 1J0121407F

https://www.google.com/search?q=1J0...=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...rome..69i57.5183j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Note: for future reference; the better timing belt kits, come with the needed stretch bolts (e.g. blauparts.com).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
locktite

Wow, yeah, like 25-30$ I would never have believed that. I'll just buy a new one. I was expecting over 100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts