NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Unlimited Reality Designs
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone post me pics of what a good timing belt looks like. my dad saw mine and said its about to break and im not sure if he know what he is talking about.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Most people will say yes, change it now. Personally; I say make VW pay if it breaks before it's scheduled to be replaced, the only way they'll learn is through their wallet. And being a '01; aren't you covered by a 100K powertrain warranty?

There's no way VW will pay to change your belt unless you have some kind of maintenance warranty. And even then, they'll only cover it if it's scheduled.

Personally, I say ride it until it breaks and let their warranty coverage deal w/it. But if you have the $ to pay them to do it, and don't want it just break some random day, I guess replacing it would be good insurance.

·
Unlimited Reality Designs
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
noR said:
Most people will say yes, change it now. Personally; I say make VW pay if it breaks before it's scheduled to be replaced, the only way they'll learn is through their wallet. And being a '01; aren't you covered by a 100K powertrain warranty?

There's no way VW will pay to change your belt unless you have some kind of maintenance warranty. And even then, they'll only cover it if it's scheduled.

Personally, I say ride it until it breaks and let their warranty coverage deal w/it. But if you have the $ to pay them to do it, and don't want it just break some random day, I guess replacing it would be good insurance.

i dont know if i got a 100k warrenty. im the second owner. and my mom bought me a 3 year warrenty the other day. it was the silver package so i dont know if its covered.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Take a look at the belt. Are the edges still clean cut or worn from rubbing? Do you see small cracks on the back side of the belt? Are the teeth still nice and squared off, or rounded?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts