VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an 04'gts, with 128,000 miles.. Not sure if the timing belt, water pump has ever been replaced on it, so its going to sit in the garage until then.... Who makes the best kit for this, or are they all pretty much the same?? Are ther any other things I need to do while I have this apart?? I have always done my own vehicle maintenance, but im not confident that I could do this one myself...Any advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I can't remember where I bought the kit, but it contained every part I needed, including the VW coolant. The kit should have stretch bolts for the engine mount you need to remove (never reuse stretch bolts). The kit I bought came with a German made water pump with a metal impeller. When I installed it, I used a bit of plumbers grease on the o-ring so it would slide into the engine without damaging the o-ring.

I had to buy the timing belt tensioner adjustment tool from another place online. I also bought a paper Bentley manual for the New Beetle before I did this work so I would have a handy reference for all of the torque specs for the fasteners.

My dad brought his tools over, including an engine lift to support the engine while the motor mount was out. The job took us from about 8:00 a.m. until maybe 6:00 p.m. because we were taking our time and double checking everything, especially during reassembly. You don't want to make a mistake when you do this job yourself. You could mess up the timing and worst case you could cause the pistons to crash into the valves, causing thousands of dollars in damage to the engine.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
If you get the higher end; deluxe plus kit, it comes with the coolant and all the extras, you need (e.g. stretch bolts, coolant flange, thermostat, belts etc) to successfully complete the repair! Everything they include; will generally need replaced anyway; better prices, then chasing the parts all over town and having to go to the VW dealer for the stretch bolts (they probably would have to special order them, anyway). Do it once; do it right! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely do that. Did most beetles have 16 or 17 inch wheels?? Mine seem to be 17s and appear to have some blue inserts of some kind

Attachments

·
Registered
15,842 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You have a very special beetle.:) It is one of the satellite beetles. They were the 1st beetles with satellite radio(The big puck of the antenna along with the blue color give it away) also the blue cloth inserts in the seats.

VW also added those bright blue inserts for the take 5 wheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info! I thought something was different about it, since the seats were totally different than any of the others that we looked at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts