NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This long but you need the facts.
I live in the country and dealer is 175 miles away.

There is mechanic (Jeff) about 10 miles away who works on NBugs. He has done things before with no problem.
A really good man used him 5 years on stuff.

I had him change Timing Belt & Water Pump in my daughters Bug and picked it up today 2-10-06.
It is a 99 with a 2.0 with 95K miles on it.

She thought she had a problem with new battery going dead.. No problem with that. But while I had home from her school. I wanted to do a little pre maint on it.
I have son at UT Knoxville and no new cars in the future.

I take it in on a Tue, tell him I would like it by Friday.
I'm taking it back to my daugher at Miss State on Sunday.

I call him Thur to check on it. He tells me it is ready to go. I show up Friday pay him what he asked
I take off and get 3 miles down the road and the Check Engine light comes on. Car running fine, I stopped cut it off. I started it, looked under hood. Saw nothing

I have a Dr. apt in 1 hour I called Mechanic and told him what had happen. He said bring it back and we will put a box see what it is.. Went to my Dr. apt (I got the friggin flew, conjestion in my chest). This whole time Im sick as a dog

I go back to the shop at 3:30. He meets me and puts a "Snap On" code reader on it. It reads that the Oxygen sensor is bad.

He said that sometimes when you change a Timing belt it does send different readings to computer.
He said lets clear it dive it, it comes back on we will check it again. You may have to get a Sensor.

I drive 10 miles down the road and back. No light comes on. I drove 15 more miles to my house got a perscription to be filled. Took off in the Bug no light.. I drive 25 more miles to town(I live in the sticks as you can tell) I pull in pharmacy
Fixing to cut off and THE LIGHT COMES ON.

During all of this going it is snowing here in Tennessee. 4 inches

I have not called him back yet.
Guys I sure would like some direction on this.
Any pics on how to change it. I have fixed a few things thanks you guys.

I sure would like some feed back on what is NEXT
Thank you in advance
David
[email protected]

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
If it states Bank 1 (the front sensor) the sensor might be fine and it could be a bad MAF causing the wrong air/fuel mixture. Also, a common problem on these cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went today to Auto Zone to see what coder reading they would get.
The Auto Zone guy got 3 codes Tell me what they are
P0725 Engine something Sensor
P1857 Malfunction Control Transmisson
P1850 Malfunction Control Transmisson

When I got back in the car to leave. I noticed for the first time
The car would not shift into my final running gear like it was not
shifting.

What all is that. This is driving me crazy.

All of this starts when I have the Timing belt water pump changed???

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it is a "bad" MAF, it may just be dirty. Cleaning with electrical contact cleaner spray works like a charm.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the front O2 sensor. All is well for the
Bug. It is time to smash this bug. 95K miles on it. In the last month I have changed tim belt
water pump, fuel filter, new front break pads.
I found out why going dead. The auto door locks
keep drainging it after locked up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts