VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water pump went out so I am going to go ahead and replace the timing belt with a Gates belt when I replace the water pump. Thanks to a number of posts on the 'org and other VW enthusiast sites I have a complete list of what I need to tackle the job and a solid grasp of what is involved with the exception of one thing. Is it necessary to rotate the engine to TDC before marking and removing the old belt, or can I just mark the belt and then remove it and put the new belt back on in the same position? I have seen DIY's where people did one and some that did the other so I am not too sure about that one thing.

Also since I will have it broken down, how much trouble is it to replace the cam /crank seals etc?

Thanks as always,
Chef

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would highly recommend rotating the engine to top dead center (TDC). As the timing belt wears it stretches slightly so you want to ensure your timing is perfect while you have the belt off. That, and at least when I replaced my timing belt/water pump, I unintentionally rotated the cam and crank a wee bit.

It's not too much more work to do. Your timing marks are on the camshaft gear at the front of the engine, and on the flywheel at the rear. To see the timing mark on the fly wheel, all you need to do is remove the stock air box to give you enough viewing space to see the TDC marking.

Good luck! It is a daunting task and took me the better part of a weekend to do.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If this is your first timing belt: I would recommend a kit from blauparts, it comes with instructions for the whole replacement process and everything you would ever need, to complete the job successfully (the deluxe kits come with hardware, coolant etc.; full easy to follow diy instructions).

Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
timing mark

You don't have to but since it's a $2000-3000 critical step most folks feel better doing both, the markings and the putting it in tdc for a second confirmation. I wouldn't do the seals unless you have high mileage or it's leaking or slight leak.On my third timing belt change interval(240k) I might consider doing the seals, maybe.

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all of the input. Since joining the 'org in 2012 I have been convinced that the greatest resource on here is the people!

·
Registered
112 Posts
why did your water pump go ? Was it the plastic impeller ? I went ahead and installed a water pump with the metal impeller just in case!
Just my 2c

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't torn the engine down yet so I don't know what the cause of the failure was, but I think it's safe to assume that the plastic impeller fell apart, as they are prone to do with enough time on them.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
So far I have not changed any Cam or Crank seals during a TB/WP change; I have changed only one crank seal and that was on my sons '99; which I did this year, because it was leaking.

I still have to post that DIY.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts